Thread: skinny water boat

Default skinny water boat

Which would you rather power a skinny water boat with.A 400 horse gas or a 250 horse diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    Which would you rather power a skinny water boat with.A 400 horse gas or a 250 horse diesel?

400 horse gas is a whole lot lighter to move if stuck then a 250 horse diesel.

what if they both were 600 lbs. motors?

what if they both were 600 lbs. motors?

A four cylinder diesel or a small block chevy?????

A big block Chevy is about 750 pounds dry
    A small block Chevy is about 575 pounds dry
    A 6 cylinder Cumming's will be about 1100 pounds dry

A small block making 400 horse is tricky for longetivity in marine applications. Generally the cam is large and impraticle for an everyday marine application. There are some engines out there but it gets pricey($15,000).

A diesel needs to be able to turn the rpm's required for the pump. So either the engine itself has to be able to turn more then 3500 rpms or find a way to add a transmission to crank the pump or find a small jet pump for a diesel application. There are a few large applications using diesels but not what I would consider a skinny water boat.

Default Jury's still out...

but check out Precision Weld Custom boats. Tom's been putting diesels (Yanmar's) in big skinny water boats for several years and they perform as good or better than any gas motor.

http://www.precisionweldboats.com/

for whatever it's worth.

A diesel needs to be able to turn the rpm's required for the pump. So either the engine itself has to be able to turn more then 3500 rpms or find a way to add a transmission to crank the pump or find a small jet pump for a diesel application. There are a few large applications using diesels but not what I would consider a skinny water boat.
    Not true. With a properly pitched impeller you can make use of the gobs of torque the diesel produces and use much less RPM. Mahays Riverboat uses three 335 hp Cummins on the McKinley Queen, a 50 passenger boat. They turn out max HP at 3000 RPM. Most of the time they are run at far less than that. The engines are designed to run that RPM for a long time.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

It would be wicked to see something like the new TDI Volkswagon motor in a marine application. The torqy fast revving power plant would make for an interesting ride, and I bet the fuel usage would be pretty impressive if it was set up right!

How about one of these? not a diesel, but interesting nonetheless.
    http://www.atkinsrotarymarine.com/

“Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyriver View Post
    but check out Precision Weld Custom boats. Tom's been putting diesels (Yanmar's) in big skinny water boats for several years and they perform as good or better than any gas motor.

http://www.precisionweldboats.com/

for whatever it's worth.
    I have been on a Precision Weld with a diesel a few years back....they have their place. Just like a inboard versus outboard jet each has their place. Skinny water boat with a diesel would not be in my top choices.

As far as Mahay's that thing is not much different then that catamaran tour craft out of Whittier. It's jet powered but I would not call it a skinny water boat. Especially with 50 passengers.

Maybe a better definition of skinny water is what we need. Skinny water to me, is water less then 6 inches in depth.

I have seen a few light weight marine diesels.Steyr has a 730 lbs 295 horse marine.Deltahawk make a 337 pound 200 horse diesel.I am talking 6" skinny water.

I have seen a few light weight marine diesels.Steyr has a 730 lbs 295 horse marine.Deltahawk make a 337 pound 200 horse diesel.I am talking 6" skinny water.
    Deltahawks are old tech meeting new tech. Two stroke diesels were the bomb back in the day.

Never heard of the Steyr till now. Looked them up and they have some pretty impressive numbers, engines and have a few boat builders buying into their technology to include Mercruiser.

The only thing which means little to us making an engine change is the Deltahawks might not meet Tier 2 or Tier 3 emissions for off road vehicles. Reading up on the Steyr they do not meet US Emission standards for on road vehicles just yet.
    Last edited by Dupont Spinner; 07-09-2009 at 23:36. Reason: Forgot to mention I am a diesel nut

How about these graduated depth descriptions:

not navigable for props.....getting skinny

too shallow to get on step without pulling gravel into the grate.....moderately skinny

too shallow to operate when not on step.....extremely skinny

too shallow to operate while on step.....way too skinny

There is also FNM that makes a 250 horse 640 lbs marine motor.