• Xtra tough

20 40.82%
  • Rocky

0 0%
  • Other

1 2.04%

Thread: Favorite rubber boots

Default Favorite rubber boots

OK, I know we have hit this before... I am still on the fence on what type of bog boots to buy. The area I moose hunt is a mix of swamps with short heavily treed finger ridges cutting through them. The area has burned in the past so there is plenty of jagged fallen trees to get over and around. I have been hunting it in my Kennetrek mountain extremes but I would like to get a boot that will allow me a little more room before I get a boot full of water. They should be comfortable for all day hunting with infrequent moderate hills. Climbing over and walking on top of fallen trees is common as well for me.

I am going to incude a poll, and I will even include extra toughs in it though I honestly don't like their lack of traction on our packed wet clay trails her in south central. I am just going to include the brands but please take the time to identify what your favorite model is as well.

im 50/50 between mucks and lacrosse... the mucks are very comfortable! i walked many many miles in them chasing coons down in Indiana...

I'm in the same boat as Browningguy.

I have one of the LaCrosse Alpha Burly models as the guys I hunt with. We really like them as the ankle fit is pretty comfy. However, the Mucks look pretty sweet too an maybe a little more comfy with the neoprene tops. Don't think you could go wrong with either, but are quite a bit comfier than the xtra-tuffs I rocked for years.

For what you are going to be doing, I'd say Mucks would be a great choice. You have many different sole patterns to choose from, they are light, and comfy. But avoid ice, wet wood sufaces, and concrete like the plague. No traction at all and you will wear the soles out quickly, unlike Xtra tuffs where you wear out the uppers (the crease at the ankle) way before you will wear out the soles. This has just been my experience.
    Oh, but if you go with the 'tuff's, get the felt insole liner, they're worth their weight in gold.

Given the terrain you hunt in, I would stray from anything that carries a neoprene outer. Perhaps just my crappy luck but I brushed the side of a pair of lacrosse against a downed tree and scored the sides, and tore away some of the material so they have leaked ever since. Thats my .02. I like the Alpha's and rock the same pair of extra tuffs the last 5 years, but I wont bunt in them..the sole lacks the aggressiveness and not very conducive to carrying a heavy pack.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I picked up the Muck Arctic sports last year before the moose season. I was on the fence between those and the Alphaburlys. I ended up with the mucks and i havent looked back, they are very warm and comfortable.

I have worn the Alpha Burlys for the past 15 years. They are an awesome boots. 2 years ago I bought a pair of mucks. I love them and so does my wife, she loves hers. My only complaint with the Mucks is I too tore a small hole in the side of one of them. Very comfy but the burly's are tougher and give more ankle support. Pick your sole carefully on the Mucks as well to match what you will be walking on as well.