Thread: Gene Pool attempts to cleanse itself yet again...

Default Gene Pool attempts to cleanse itself yet again...

Friday morning, a co-worker showed up to work late, bloodshot eyes, ears ringing, after having spent a night with several "professional" coyote hunters. Professional means that these fellers do little else, by the way.
    Apparently, they were parked at the edge of a field, calling the song dogs in, when one of the fellows took a shot, with a Howa 1500 rifle chambered to .204 Ruger.....The stock exploded, blew the floorplate off the rifle, and made the shooters' face look like he'd been way too close to a fragmentation grenade. Apparently, he inserted a .223 Remington cartridge into the .204's chamber and let 'er rip. Bullet lodged in the neck, gasses vented backwards through the action, blowing brass, steel and wood fragments into the shooter's face, arms and chest.
    IF you own rifles chambered to the .204 AND .223 or 5.56, INSURE that you use the appropriate ammunition for your arm....

thats crazy . were they drinking?

No need to be drinking to make a simple mistake like that. Especially if you don't realize one will chamber in the other. My cousin shot a 40 out of his 45acp recently. It ruptured the case, threw some fire out the ejection port and didn't extract but he was no worse for wear. No drinking in our case just loading multiple mags at the same time and he grabbed a shell from the wrong box. Could happen to anyone, just takes a moment of inattentiveness or complacency.

Default Might as well have been!

From the co-worker's account, it was approximately three a.m. They'd been at it since 10 p.m., after having worked the day before.
    All of the party were using night vision, and the shooter, after having used the last round in his rifle, reached down to pick up a fresh cartridge without looking, so as not to lose sight of the coyote, and put his hand into the first open cartridge carrier his digits found.....
    Whatever device he had mounted on his head and covering his eyes are likely all that saved this gent's vision. The rest of his face looked like a mangled pizza, from all accounts.

The point I was trying to make, though, is that this combination of rifle/cartridge mismatch is a new one on me. I recall an article in "Rifle" magazine a few years back, about some fellas that put a 7mm Remington mag cartridge into a .270 Weatherby chambered Model 70 Winchester. That one came apart, too! The list of combinations that will give this result is getting longer all the time, it seems, and gives credence to the old adage about checking compatability of the ammunition to the rifle!!!
    My son, best friend, and I were hunting antelope in Wyoming about twenty years ago. Jim had a 6mm Remington, my son, a .257 Roberts, and I was using a 6.5X55 Swede. Sitting 'round the campfire the night before, I held out one of each of the cartridges to my son and Jim, and asked them to pick out their round. Both picked the wrong shells in the dim light of the fire!
    Just beware folks!

I use different color duck'tape on my AR-15 Magazines, for different cartridges, plus print the cartridge size on the Duck'tape with bold magic marker.