Thread: SUPER wide canoe/canoat/canootball?

Default SUPER wide canoe/canoat/canootball?

Has anyone ever seen or have a pic of a really wide canoe? I mean something in the way of 5' wide or so, but no longer than 15' (football shaped i'd say) something that could be made from 16' plywood, I have the urge to build such a critter and was wondering if anyone else had ever made one.
    Just one of those crazy ideas we sometimes just can't shake
    Thanks!

Default Power?

Would the purpose be to have a large load capacity?

Powered by motor? Paddle? Oars?

I don't know if I can find a picture of it, but when I was a wee lad my father had an old 16x5' wood stipper. I hardly looked like a canoe, and even had a small foredeck with windshield, but was definitely shaped along the same lines as a canoe. It was well powered with a Merc 20hp.

Some years later he bought a larger version made by the same Alaskan boat builder. This one was 30' long, about 6.5' wide, with 2' high sides. and had a low slung cabin covering the front 2/3 of it. That one had a 115hp Merc, but really would have been better off with something smaller.

It's hard to define when a design stops being a canoe, and starts being something else, but these were old designs that were built for Alaska rivers with smaller than normal motors for their sizes. They were surprisingly seaworthy though, and we usually launched them at Ship Creek for fishing and hunting the lower Big and Little Susitna rivers.

Thanks for the info folks!
    My intent for the craft would be mainly rowing on fairly calm ponds, but also have a good weight capacity as well as stability.
    I guess i'm going to have to make a cardboard model and see how it looks.
    Like I said, just can't shake the thought!

Quote Originally Posted by MagLvr View Post
    Has anyone ever seen or have a pic of a really wide canoe? I mean something in the way of 5' wide or so, but no longer than 15' (football shaped i'd say) something that could be made from 16' plywood, I have the urge to build such a critter and was wondering if anyone else had ever made one.
    Just one of those crazy ideas we sometimes just can't shake
    Thanks!
    Yes, I have seen the style of canoe that you are referring too. If you need help constructing the plans, mold, or the spine/ribs type mold PM me. The width should be around 45-50 inches, with a length of 12-14 ft. The hull should be symetrical shape with a raised bow and stern similiar to the ancient ojibwa style of canoes. Since this is a relatively flat water canoe......a keel wouldnt be a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Yes, I have seen the style of canoe that you are referring too. If you need help constructing the plans, mold, or the spine/ribs type mold PM me. The width should be around 45-50 inches, with a length of 12-14 ft. The hull should be symetrical shape with a raised bow and stern similiar to the ancient ojibwa style of canoes. Since this is a relatively flat water canoe......a keel wouldnt be a bad idea.
    Thank you for the info, and offer of help. greatly appreciated!

Default pictures

Do you have any pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    I don't know if I can find a picture of it, but when I was a wee lad my father had an old 16x5' wood stipper. I hardly looked like a canoe, and even had a small foredeck with windshield, but was definitely shaped along the same lines as a canoe. It was well powered with a Merc 20hp.

Some years later he bought a larger version made by the same Alaskan boat builder. This one was 30' long, about 6.5' wide, with 2' high sides. and had a low slung cabin covering the front 2/3 of it. That one had a 115hp Merc, but really would have been better off with something smaller.

It's hard to define when a design stops being a canoe, and starts being something else, but these were old designs that were built for Alaska rivers with smaller than normal motors for their sizes. They were surprisingly seaworthy though, and we usually launched them at Ship Creek for fishing and hunting the lower Big and Little Susitna rivers.

I am looking at getting a 13ft Coleman , any one have any experience with these , or should I look at another brand , I want something small and light and this one is only $300.00

http://www.thompsonoutdoors.com/9076lensaticcompass-p-189.html]lensatic compass[/url]
    http://www.thompsonoutdoors.com/buck-knives-m-11.html]buck knives[/url]

Post Osage-Wide Canoe- Aluminum-

Osage canoe makes a duck canoe in 14' and 16' length, 5' wide that is pretty close to what you are looking for. It is aluminum, but the pictures might help with your design.
    WWW.OSAGE-CANOE.COM

Sound just like you want a driftboat... Maybe a little less rocker for the canoe.

https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=819

More of their people powered designs.. https://www.boatdesigns.com/departments.asp?dept=8

Hey guys, thanks for the web sites! they both are great looking boats!!!