Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My turn to vent on the local Fish and wildlife gestapo

Default My turn to vent on the local Fish and wildlife gestapo

My 16 year old nephew was over at Matanuska lake today hanging out with some friends that had come down to from FBX to hang out with him. They were sitting around the waters edge and he picked up a pole that was laying there and was fidgeting with it while talking with his buddies. He was absentmindedly dipping it in the water. Note, there was no bait on the bare hook!!! The local LEO dirt bag came up and wrote him a $250 ticket for fishing without a license.

Sad part is this kid moved in with us and is working hard to get his life in order, working a full time job and trying to get his GED finished so he can start vocational school in the fall while paying us back for the car we purchased for him.

All I can say is Thank you so much for helping this kid get a leg up on life. And I appreciate you so much for protecting a bunch of infertile stocked fish from kids playing with a fishing pole and NO FRIGGING BAIT!!!
    Last edited by LuJon; 07-05-2009 at 02:12.

Drives me nuts when LEO's do more harm than good....

Default Sorry

It doesn't seem right does it. but touching a pole near the water is the way it is. It is the dilema of the guys who do break the rules, they weren't going to fish either. So you can let it eat at ya or chalk it up to a life rule and move on. Thanks for helping this kid out, sounds like he is really trying and if that is the case this isn't gonna stop him. Hang in there kid! you can do it!

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident, but to be quite honest after reading your post it seems very one sided. Do you normally feel this way about law enforcement? I get the impression that you do. Also, I don't know if I am buying the story that your nephew was just "accidentally" putting the found fishing pole to use. What I can believe is that your nephew found the fishing pole and decided to give it a try, even without bait or lures...probably just goofing around. With that in mind, I agree with the direction of your post that a warning would have been more appropriate.
    As a moderator of this forum, I am disappointed that you type such inflammatory posts about law enforcement. In my opinion; you have shown your small mindedness.
    I can't stand over zealous game wardens that either never learned to properly use officer discretion and who feel that their worth is judged on the number of tickets they write. But I also can't stand hunters/fishermen that continue to ruin the wholesome image of the outdoors man with their questionable actions and embarrassing rants. It's these kind of people that give the lunatic left groups such as PETA and other anti-hunting/fishing groups power and credibility with the public.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I appreciate you so much for protecting a bunch of infertile stocked fish
    I seem to remember an older asian guy a few years ago
    got busted during the winter for taking large numbers of "infertile stocked fish" and a lot of people had a big problem with that.

Please remember that those fish are a resource, just as much other naturally occurring fish are. These ones were even paid for by the state and part of your angling license fee (I believe)!

Quote Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post
    Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident, but to be quite honest after reading your post it seems very one sided. Do you normally feel this way about law enforcement? I get the impression that you do. Also, I don't know if I am buying the story that your nephew was just "accidentally" putting the found fishing pole to use. What I can believe is that your nephew found the fishing pole and decided to give it a try, even without bait or lures...probably just goofing around. With that in mind, I agree with the direction of your post that a warning would have been more appropriate.
    As a moderator of this forum, I am disappointed that you type such inflammatory posts about law enforcement. In my opinion; you have shown your small mindedness.
    I can't stand over zealous game wardens that either never learned to properly use officer discretion and who feel that their worth is judged on the number of tickets they write. But I also can't stand hunters/fishermen that continue to ruin the wholesome image of the outdoors man with their questionable actions and embarrassing rants. It's these kind of people that give the lunatic left groups such as PETA and other anti-hunting/fishing groups power and credibility with the public.
    Capncrunch,

I'm not sure that small mindedness is the right term. I would say more like highly frustrated. LuJon is doing a wonderful thing for a young man that has had a hard time and it is too bad that he was ticketed. But, with that said, the young man sounds like he was fishing. After all, why would you play around with a fishing pole in the water if your intent is to NOT catch fish. It just doesn't make a lot of sense. Nor is it very wise if you don't have a license. Does he deserve a ticket? Beats me as I don't know all the details. But, I will say that $250 is pretty steep for what it sounds like he was doing. In fact, there is a certain "wow factor" in it as I had no idea that it could be that steep of a fine. The fine sure doesn't seem to fit the offense. Just my two cents on that one......

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    My 16 year old nephew was over at Matanuska lake today hanging out with some friends that had come down to from FBX to hang out with him. They were sitting around the waters edge and he picked up a pole that was laying there and was fidgeting with it while talking with his buddies. He was absentmindedly dipping it in the water. Note, there was no bait on the bare hook!!! The local LEO dirt bag came up and wrote him a $250 ticket for fishing without a license.

Sad part is this kid moved in with us and is working hard to get his life in order, working a full time job and trying to get his GED finished so he can start vocational school in the fall while paying us back for the car we purchased for him.

All I can say is Thank you so much for helping this kid get a leg up on life. And I appreciate you so much for protecting a bunch of infertile stocked fish from kids playing with a fishing pole and NO FRIGGING BAIT!!!

Lujon,

What would you say if I posted something like this? You are a person that we set the bar to and we all depend on you to hold yourself and everyone else to a higher standard. I understand your anger and frustration, but before you pull the trigger (the enter key), do what I do, which is step back for a few minutes, reread the post, and then hit submit if it is really what you want everyone on earth to see. What you posted is something I would be a little embarrased about to be honest and something I would regret posting. I hope the rest of your weekend goes much better

Unhappy

Well.....About all I can say is that your nephew and all his friends just learned a very good lesson about how the state boys do their dealings. All these boys learned a lesson they will never forget. Damage is done now, and there ain't no calling it back. Doubt very much if any of these boys will ever want to fish or partake in much of any kind of outdoor related activities down the road. It has tainted their perceptions of fishing, no doubt about it.

Few less future fishermen.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Poor Discretion

If the story is true, poor discretion was certainly used in issuing the citation.

With so many more serioius fishing violations happening out there right now, a $250 fine on a 16-year old for dangling an unbaited hook in the water doesn't seem reasonable. A warning, and description of the regulations by the officer, would've been sufficient. I'm sure there were better things this officer could've been doing with our tax money.

What was the name of our public employee/officer who issued the ticket?

Where's Sarah when you need her, wasn't she the underdog's advocate?
    Out to wright the wrongs etc?
    Mike

take them to court.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    take them to court.
    Ha. Surely you jest. The boy(s) done learned a good lesson from the LE and now you advocate teaching them another good lesson from the judge and the judicious branch of govt. Yeah, that'll learn 'em real good.

The best medicine right now, is to take the boys out to a remote location and let them relearn what they need to know about the outdoors, from someone with moral compass. Don't need to distance them any further by running them through the legal mill.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

can you appear in court like a speeding ticket? If so I would explain my case to the courts.

Common' Jon... We were both 16 once and told this same type of story to our dads.

You put a hook in the water..even without bait..it's fishing. It's not up to the LEO to determine if you are a good fisherman or not.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

hey lujon, step away from the keyboard. as a person who does a lot of emailing and cpu correspondence for work, i have put out a lot of embarrassing emails. yours is in that category. the kid was fishing and if he wants to fish, he needs to get a license. his sob story of a life is not important and doesn't earn him sympathy points. if you want to help him, let him know that rules are for following and excuses are like buttholes, everyone's got one and they all stink. take care all, abel6wt

Quote Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post

I would have to agree with you on all of these points, everyone that gets caught is just "messing around" and "not really fishing". The officer was just doing his job, Kudos to him for being dilligent.

Coming from a past Law Enforcement Background and a Father of two boys, there are two sides to every story. How someone responds or reacts to an adverse situation will normally dictate the end results. It was amazing to hear both sides to a story and then view the video camera or listen to the voice recording. Peoples perception on what was said and done is not always correct. My boys are good boys, but they didn't always portrait the accurate picture of what really happened when they got in trouble (what little they did). How ever I did have a few rotten apples working for me when I did work Law Enforcement and I dealt with them. The same complaints always surface. In my dealing with Law Enforcement in Alaska and also presently working with alot of retired Troopers and Fish Cops, they are normal people just like you and I. Its a tough job and you can't please everyone. If your boy really feels he did nothing wrong, contest the ticket. Let him experience the entire process and learn before he gets older. If he is not willing to take it to court, chances are he might be remembering what really happened. I'm not happy this happened but it's a good time in his early life to learn that if you don't follow a rule to the letter of the law, there are possible consquences.
    Last edited by chico99645; 07-05-2009 at 12:02. Reason: spelling

As was mentioned above these are public employee's and as such should be called out when they over flex the power that we grant them as citizens. We have entrusted them to be the protectors of our resources. With all of the threads about people snagging fish at so many of the local salmon streams does it really give you all a warm and fuzzy to know that one of our LEO's was out there giving a $250 fine to a minor 16yo kid (who has never needed a fishing license before) at a stocked lake for "fishing" with an unbaited hook? On the positive side he did say that he believed that he wasn't intending to break the law so he would be nice and not confiscate the fishing gear. The gear belonged to his friend who was fishing and had a valid license...

Is he guilty technically yes, are we going to fight it honestly no. And I do have a great deal of respect for the hard working LEO's out there that put their lives on the line to serve our great state. But if a minority of them go around acting like bullies to hard working law abiding citizens every time they accidently slip a toe over the line then it is the responsibility of the voting public to enact a change of management within the force that will assure that type of behaviour is condemned.

I think a warning to a group of minors would have been more in order especially since he wasn't casting the rod. Unfortunately for the boy, the Trooper didn't know his background/story. If he had I doubt that the fine would have been issued.

is your nephew levi johnston?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast