Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any luck?

Default Any luck?

I drove out to ship creek today and saw a lot of people fishing just wondering if anyone had any luck. Also is there any "unspoken" rules or etiquette i should know about

Thumbs up

I also stopped by on my way home from work this evening. The guy I spoke with said he'd seen two fish hooked (one about 20 pounds and the other around 30). I assume someone has caught a king by now.

Appeared to be about a dozen people between the Bridge Restaurant and the furthest bridge downstream. Looked like most fellas were casting Pixee spoons or Vibrax spinners.

The warm, sunny temps seem to bring out both fish and fisherman. I plan to try my luck tomorrow. It will be my first time on Ship Creek. Should I wear waders? Also, is bait legal? I assume there's a two-fish daily limit (not that I need to be too concern with that this early in the season).

Default Read the regs

Here's the link to the regulations for Ship Creek:
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...l/06SCanch.pdf

The only place in Southcentral that has a daily bag limit of two kings is the Ninilchik (only one of those can be a wild king). There is always a possibility that F&G could liberalize a fishery by emergency order and increase a bag limit. This happend last year with the Deshka River and can happen to Ship Creek as long as they have enough fish for brood stock. This wouldn't happen until later in the season.

Never assume anything with regulations.

Default two kings in salt

south of the 59'40" line...so you can take two kings in the Homer fishing hole.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Anyone know a link to the Ship Creek tide tables?

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have fished Ship Creek for a long time. The only unspoken rule I can think of is be curteous to everyone but dont let a soul disrespect you. I have seen many people cut other peoples tangled lines. People often get into a pissing contest when it comes to which side of the creek is supposed to be fished. There many other circumstances and I could spend all night listed them.

IMHO "FISH ON" and "COMING DOWN" isnt mandatory or nescessarily required. Each fisherman should keep an eye on the situations around them.

Maybe one day I will make a combat fishing documentary with Ship Creek as the prime example.

Default Forgot about the Fishing Hole

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave
    south of the 59'40" line...so you can take two kings in the Homer fishing hole.
    homerdave - thanks for the reminder. Guess I was just thinking fresh water and forgot about the waters south of Bluff Point.

Tomcat Did you have any luck today? I drove out there and stayed for about an hour just watching people and didn't see anyone catch anything. I might go out and try wendsday. I don't have a king rod yet and only have a medium action rod with 8lb test. I have landed 20+lb stripped bass on them before so maybe ill just try my luck.

Exclamation

Got on the river later than planned, so ended up fishing the outgoing tide for several hours. Started just below the wire and progressed downstream as the water level dropped. It shallows quickly when the tide is headed out, so was forced to keep moving and looking for deeper water.

When I first arrived at the dam, I talked to a guy who claimed to see two 15 pounders caught during the flood tide at about 5:15 p.m. In the city side channel of the river, just below the dam, it looked like there may have been a pod of fish stacked up. I say this because one fellow kept walking up and down the stream as if in pursuit, while casting an enormous amount of lead that sounded like an elephant doing a cannonball each time it hit the water. Maybe he was sight fishing, but the tactics appeared questionable to say the least.

When I arrived at the third bridge down from the dam, I saw my first king of the season. It was caught in tidewater on a blue Vibrax spinner just before I got there and was estimated to be in the 12 to 15 pound class.

With the water level plummeting, the banks were really muddy. If you go on an outgoing tide, but sure to wear boots and be careful about where you step because it's easy to get temporarily stuck.

As I was headed back to the parking lot, I spotted what I believe was a small, dark, spawned out steelhead that appeared to be struggling in the current near the bank below the dam.

Overall, it was nice to get out and wet a line, but the action was really slow. Didn't even see a king roll, but of course, I missed out on prime-time.

For the time being, I've scratched the fishing itch and won't be in a hurry to go back out until I hear about a decent catch rate. Right now, I think the odds of success are pretty low.

Regardless, it was a beautiful evening spent streamside and that's always a nice bonus when the fish aren't biting.

Default tide table link is permanently here

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat
    Anyone know a link to the Ship Creek tide tables?
    Tom,

I posted a permanent link to the tide tables in the header of the power boating forum the other day. Maybe we should post it in the header of the fishing forum too...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

IMHO the best time to fish is after the tide is almost out and the creek has returned to its non tide state. After about 2 hours when most of the creek has returned to normal non tide levels the fishing really dies down. But for the most part most of my luck has been in that short time period.

Thumbs up

I'm sure every angler has a favorite time-frame for fishing the tides and the chances are good that opinions will vary.

Based on the literature I've read and personal experience, I'm inclined to believe that the best time to fish for salmon is from the two hours leading up to high tide until two hours after high tide.

The theory is that the fish come into the river or bay with the incoming tide, then retreat back to the salt with the outgoing tide.

Of course, some salmon are bound to remain in the river once the tide recedes and actually may be more vulnerable to being caught in these constricted bodies of water.

My philosophy is don't argue with another man's success, but learn from it. Sounds like I may have left the creek too early this evening and missed out on the hot bite. Thanks for the tip, WG.

Mike, I think posting a link to the tide tables up top is an excellent thought and and would be most helpful to us all.

You bring up an excellent point. I never would of thought that the salmon would go back out to the inlet or salt water when the tide goes down. Actually it makes perfect sense now that you bring it up.

My favorite spot was the second inside bend down past the culverts. I guess you could call me hardcore. Me and the people around me would be slamming the Kings and all of a sudden it would just die off. People upstream wouldnt have any luck either. I always assumed they sneaked by us all. I thought salmon looking to spawn ALWAYS go upstream, but I guess I was wrong. This would explain why some salmon starting to turn colors are seen on incoming tides.

I was just discussing this issue with a co-worker who actively fishes Ship Creek. He agreed with your assessment that low tide is the best time for the hot bite.

Now that the culverts are gone, however, he believes it may be tougher fishing when the water is low. Evidently in the past, the salmon would typically keg up in the deeper holes rather than flush out through the culverts with the outgoing tide.

Without the culverts acting as a partial barrier anymore, the fish may be more inclined to drop back into the salt after nosing around in fresh water for a while.

Default Ship

Is the curfew still going on at Ship Creek? I seem to remember a 2300-0600 no fishing time. Also, would anyone mind explaining the rig they use for Kings when fishing with roe? Thanks

Personally for using eggs i tie up a 40 pound leader through a Gamagatsu 5/6 hook and either put the egg cluster directly thru the egg loop if fishing slack water during high tide or use a mesh "egg sack" if fishing moving water. Some people i have seen use a swivel with clip, I personally prefer a double swivel that i tie my line from reel to on one end and other is my leader. Any time i have had a King break once hooked, it has never been at my swivel where i tied it but i have seen the snap hooks get popped open and straightened. Just what i do and it works for me

Unhappy

Been stopping at the traffic bridge every evening on my way home from work. Only stay for a few minutes to assess the situation, but haven't seen any action or heard of any positive reports. Maybe this weekend the kings will finally storm the creek.

One of these nights I am hoping to hit the tide just ride and catch myself a king. If I hit it just right I will be very confident.

WIth eggs I always use a treble hook. It holds the eggs very well and secures itself in a fish's mouth even better. Theres nothing worse than watching a King on your line shake its head and spit the hook out because the hook was looly secured in its outter lip.

i will be out there sunday. I play to try the hook and yarn method and throw a spinner a few times. Another question is should i really buy a king rod. I have a medium action rod with 10lb test on it. I used to catch 35-40lb stripped bass on it, with out much problem as long as i didn't rush the fish. I just don't see any fun in having a huge rod with 50lb test or so and just lugging the fish in. I like more of a fight than anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast