Thread: Best Pull-over hip boot?

Default Best Pull-over hip boot?

I know that there is a couple of different brands of pull over hip boots that are being sold. Just wondering if anyone has experience with the different ones that are available and what is the best one? Any comments on the pro's or con's of the different models? Thanks for the input.

I have the Wiggys, like them. Weight is good and they are reasonably durable

Default neos

I had found the Neos Overshoe http://www.overshoe.com/recreational...il.php?s=RTK15 but they weigh 5lbs. Heck, Lacrosse regular hip boots only weight 4.9 lbs. I thought that I remember hearing that Barneys sell some sort of the same thing. Does anyone have any input and info on those since their web site STILL isn't up? I looked at the ones at wiggy's and they may be a good choice at only 1 lbs but just concerned about the lack of any kind of tread. I guess it's a trade off, durability vs weight.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I had found the Neos Overshoe http://www.overshoe.com/recreational...il.php?s=RTK15 but they weigh 5lbs. Heck, Lacrosse regular hip boots only weight 4.9 lbs. I thought that I remember hearing that Barneys sell some sort of the same thing. Does anyone have any input and info on those since their web site STILL isn't up? I looked at the ones at wiggy's and they may be a good choice at only 1 lbs but just concerned about the lack of any kind of tread. I guess it's a trade off, durability vs weight.
    Yes they may weigh the same, but with the regular hip boots you have to take your boots on and off. This way you just slip the over boots on and off. Easier, faster, and more ankle support as you get to wear your normal hiking boots inside.

Personally I just wear a pair of watershoes like these and just carry a seperate pair of socks. Total weight around 1 pound. Plus with some superfeet insoles I am able to hike in them fine if wanted. In fact I hiked 6 miles with a 60 pound pack in them. To me wet feet is more comfortable than wearing hip boots. I wear quick dry fishing pants and wet feet really don't bother me. Never have gotten blisters due to wet socks/boots. The setup works for me so long as I have a pair of dry socks to put on at the end of the day to sleep and walk around camp in and let the wet pair get atleast semi-dry for the next day to do it all over again.

I want to try the wiggys set just to see if they are faster than changing from boots to water shoes. If they slip on and off easily then they would be well worth the $$. As far as durability goes I would stretch their life as far as a bottle of aqua-seal would take it then buy a new set. In the mean time you would be surprised what you can cross with impertech taped tight on your boots...

Barney's has the Neos. I would recommend them for the aformentioned points about easy and timelyness of use and the fact that you keep your boots on with propper arche and ankle support. I believe they run $141ish.

Brett

Default neos

My dad and I both have Neos from Mountain View sports. If you are hunting from a basecamp and don't have to carry everything everywhere 5 lbs isn't much for the convenience of slipping them on and off easily. I do like that they have a legit sole with good traction.

When I'm cutting my tooth brush in half five pounds of excess weight is huge. NEOS are spiffy but the Wiggy's do the job. If you can carry that much weight carry regular boots. JMHO

Dave