Thread: Mt Goat Movements

Default Mt Goat Movements

I found a large Billie yesterday on a mountain top. He was very large, solo, and heavily soiled in the rump. He commanded a view and seemed to own this particular moutain top.

I've had some experience with em I'm curious what others a have experienced.......

Hunting season for goats starts August 1st. He can't get much higher and the vegetation is likely only gonna get better in his mountain top world.

Do you think he'll leave? What have your experiences been scouting Goats in the summer?

Thanks

Sometimes they are still in the same area .... sometimes they are gone never to be seen again ....

I have watched (singles) them move from one mountain to another, across a big valley, for no reason I could tell.

i had heard or read , a long time ago, they have a pattern they follow it is over a period of time but unfortunately my old memory does not recall i think it is 14 day cycle that they roam but not for sure. and never rearched it to see if it is true???? sorry probably not much help other than ? to ask the biologist or google???
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default from one Mt to the other

One time we watched one start off a distant mountain in our direction. We watched it cross a big saddle / valley and come right up and bed in the chute were were perched on top of. This was about 6 hours or so. After he bedded down on a steep snowfield above a 1000 + ft drop (for a few hours) he got up and fed right up to us. The straight down 25yard shot. He collapsed and started to tumble / slide. Right back down the chute and UNDER the snowfield where the little creeks leads in. Bobby climbed on under there aways and struggled him up to where we could all get hold.

This was late August and we could never figure out why he crossed over to the mountain we were on.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    One time we watched one start off a distant mountain in our direction. We watched it cross a big saddle / valley and come right up and bed in the chute were were perched on top of. This was about 6 hours or so. After he bedded down on a steep snowfield above a 1000 + ft drop (for a few hours) he got up and fed right up to us. The straight down 25yard shot. He collapsed and started to tumble / slide. Right back down the chute and UNDER the snowfield where the little creeks leads in. Bobby climbed on under there aways and struggled him up to where we could all get hold.

This was late August and we could never figure out why he crossed over to the mountain we were on.
    He might have been jealous of your beard.

Default Funny

LOL!

Ya......I'm betting it was the beard.

Bugs? Sunlight? Maybe he had a bear up on the other ridge push him? Weird.

You must have so able bodied assistants scrambling into those chutes and ice.

Bighorse,
    Just tell me what mountaintop he's on, and I'll keep an eye on him for you...i'll let you know exactly where he goes....