Thread: Lots of Kasilof news how about the Kenia

Default Lots of Kasilof news how about the Kenia

Any news on how the dipping is lookin go n the Kenia? Has anyone been hearing anything? Just getting antsy!

Default Not open yet!!

It opens up on July 10th. Kasilof is open though.

Default Well slap me silly!

Hey thanks guess I was just a bit off there huh? Good thing I didn't just grab my net and head out.

Default Current Kenai escapement numbers are here

I haven't seen any jumpers yet down in the mouth of the river yet but am getting excited for the 10th even if there are no fish, maybe it's because I just like to get coffee from the girl at the Kenai Landing.

Default Kenai Prediction from a Kenai Keeper Guy

There is going to be yet, another, favorable week of conditions for the KP dip netting fisheries.

SW winds predicted all this week and into the weekend, the only thing going against dippers is that the OTF (off shore test fishery) has dropped dramatically since last week; they really need to pick up by Monday/Tuesday in order to predict fishable numbers by the opener on the 10th. Yesterday's OTF was 28, anything above 80 is usually a good sign and numbers above 100 predict FANTASTIC fishing.

As of counts from Midnight to 8am this morning the Kasilof counter was not on fire by any stretch. The Kenai is on task for its 23 year average which if it stays on trend will put around 8k fish through the weir... not anything to get excited about but if you want some sunburn and a few fish then by all means.

I'm waiting it out; I got invited to dip from a boat again this year and it's so much easier on gimpy knees than standing in the water. I predict that the Kenai will start to POP around the 17th, given that EO's don't hinder the run/escapement.

SUMMATION:
    Weather is going to be very favorable, conditions are favorable to blow in the stock, there just needs to be some stock to blow in.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Thanks there Keeper

So a southwest wind blows the fish in? I didn't think the wind blew under water! LOL That is interesting I will try to keep that in mind. I try to watch the escapments but that is like two or three days behind the fish so a hot day there means you should have been there yesterday!
    Do the tides make much difference? A higher tide more fish or is that really a factor? Thanks for the great info. It is all a gamble and elbow grease anyway.

Yep, Robb's the resident scientist and data analyst on this forum. Good stuff thanks.

Thumbs up Thanks...

for all the good information. I've always been a fishaholic, but have never dipped before, so basically, any information that you guys have provided goes a long way with me. What's the latest prognosis for both fisheries this weekend? Has anything changed yet, and how are the test numbers?

Wink Grab your nets boys and girls

It's dipping season. I'm hitting it Friday on the opener; there's just too much good data to not go at this point. SW winds all last week and all this week; (no it does not blow under water but it does blow the top and create a surface current... verify here: http://oceanmotion.org/html/backgrou...en-surface.htm) OTF counts 100+ a few days in a row... my fillet knife is sharp, I have cash for the sand animals to carry my coolers, Kenai Keeper is clean and free of kinks, ice is being made as we speak.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32