Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: Legal Moose Pics, as prep for my hunt...

  1. #1
    Member beautriz66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    16

    Exclamation Legal Moose Pics, as prep for my hunt...

    Good morning, Alaska! Just a request from any successful moose hunters who are so inclined, I'd like a few frontal and/or side pics of 50" moose. I'm trying my best to be prepared for a first time moose hunt with my son ( Ak resident, military) in September.
    I'm a Michigan resident, trying hard to prep thoroughly for this trip. Been working out strenuously, getting a good load for my Marlin Guide gun, but still can't say I'd recognize a 50" moose in the wild.
    HERE'S MY PLAN:
    A.) Find pics of MEASURED moose racks, make mock-ups of OSB or plywood, and take them into the field or to the shooting range and get good at estimating them by naked eye, 8x binoculars, 2.5x scope, and spotting scope. Real photos might make this more feasible. If not,
    B.) Wing it. Make an "artistic rendering" and give it my best shot.
    (Actually, I'd just love to see what I'm looking for , to be completetly stoked before I land in your heaven-on-earth.)
    My humble thanks for any and all replies.

  2. #2
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,765

    Default Judging moose antler spread

    Beautriz,

    If you haven't already, check out THIS VIDEO. It was put together by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game specifically for this purpose. Best resource out there; at the end of the video they look at around 20 moose and you try to judge the spread. Then they tell you what it was.

    As you have surmised, the best way of judging antler spread is to look at a lot of moose. I'll shoot you some pics when we return from Seward; meanwhile HERE'S A LINK to a bull you can try to estimate! The actual spread is at the end of the article, so don't peek!

    -Mike
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 07-05-2009 at 09:37.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

  3. #3
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    My recommendation is to forget about the 50" and just concentrate on Brow tines. It is the only sure thing! There are certainly folks out there that have the "calibrated" eye for it, but I know there are far more that can't seem to accurately count to 3.

  4. #4

    Default

    I agree with Mike. The video is a great tool.

    The only other advice I have is this: If you find yourself doing math in the field, it's not a big bull.

    Don Mulligan

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    My recommendation is to forget about the 50" and just concentrate on Brow tines. It is the only sure thing! There are certainly folks out there that have the "calibrated" eye for it, but I know there are far more that can't seem to accurately count to 3.
    Or 4 as the area dictates

  6. #6
    Member tboehm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Soldotna AK
    Posts
    2,407

    Default not working

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Beautriz,

    If you haven't already, check out THIS VIDEO. It was put together by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game specifically for this purpose. Best resource out there; at the end of the video they look at around 20 moose and you try to judge the spread. Then they tell you what it was.

    As you have surmised, the best way of judging antler spread is to look at a lot of moose. I'll shoot you some pics when we return from Seward; meanwhile HERE'S A LINK to a bull you can try to estimate! The actual spread is at the end of the article, so don't peek!

    -Mike
    Mike the link to the blog isn't working.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    973

    Default

    As requested here is a couple pictures of what you are looking for.



  8. #8
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Mike the link to the blog isn't working.
    Fixed it! Thanks!

    -Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

  9. #9

    Default

    RamblingRaven,

    Great moose! We need the measurements for each bull to be of any value for an educational tool. Feel free to PM your coordinates - HA!

  10. #10
    Member Antleridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Southeast Alaska
    Posts
    395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Fixed it! Thanks!

    -Mike
    Still not working for me.

  11. #11
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antleridge View Post
    Still not working for me.
    It works for me. Are you trying it from your home computer or an office? Some companies filter certain categories of social sites like blogs which may be your issue.

  12. #12
    Member Antleridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Southeast Alaska
    Posts
    395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Fixed it! Thanks!

    -Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    It works for me. Are you trying it from your home computer or an office? Some companies filter certain categories of social sites like blogs which may be your issue.
    Using home computer - I get to a blog page, but no text.

  13. #13

    Default

    Looks like a river boat is a must for killing moose in Fairbanks?

    Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    As requested here is a couple pictures of what you are looking for.



  14. #14
    Member beautriz66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    16

    Default uhhhhh, wow.

    Thanks, so far. You folks are right on the ball this weekend, aren't you? I'll stay tuned for whatever else may be posted , but what you've sent thus far is ... just... AWESOME.

  15. #15
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    RR, what a unique moose on the left. His right palm all curled-up like that...got any other pictures of that guy?

  16. #16
    Member trapperbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    443

    Default Legal bulls on the hoof





  17. #17
    Member Dupont Spinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trapperbob View Post




    So what's the guess on pic 3??? The rest are definates but I feel #3 is right about 48 to 51 inches with this view. It would definately require a good long hard look..... Anyone else>>>>>

  18. #18
    Member markopolo50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fenton,Michigan
    Posts
    838

    Default 65 incher

    B- I was in the same predicament as you a few years back. On our first moose/caribou trip we saw some moose but only shot caribou. Our second trip we both shot moose and didn't see any caribou. I was lucky and shot this moose opening morning, my buddy shot one 7 days later. The 50" rule/4 brow tines had us searching for any and all information. Mike Strahan's video and the other pointers by others sure can help. The final judge of course is you before you shoot. It is hard for us that haven't ever seen a moose, they are huge. Hopefully you will see a few and be able to judge in the field, or be lucky as I was. Good luck and let us know how you do, Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    RamblingRaven,

    Great moose! We need the measurements for each bull to be of any value for an educational tool. Feel free to PM your coordinates - HA!
    1st moose 59 3|4
    2nd moose 60 1/2
    3rd moose ? lots of brow tines
    4th moose 69 1/2
    5th moose 58

  20. #20
    Member garnede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    soon to be back in Alaska
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    So what's the guess on pic 3??? The rest are definates but I feel #3 is right about 48 to 51 inches with this view. It would definately require a good long hard look..... Anyone else>>>>>
    The real question is would #4 be a 3 brow tine or 4 brow tine?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

    http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •