Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valdez ...any pinks at Allison Point yet?!?

Default Valdez ...any pinks at Allison Point yet?!?

We have family plans to go to Allison Pt and catch and can pinks ... anybody heard if the pinks are being caught around Allison Point yet?? Thanks for any info.

I was there last weekend and didn't see any sighn of them at the point,seen a few surface the water out in Galena and Jack's bay so there not far away.

Default Pink Salmon Valdez update

On Thursday at 10am a friend and I headed out to Allison Point. We saw pinks jumping and the seals were about 40 yards from shore. People were catching them real easily...some old guy was even sitting in his lawn chair...casting his line out and catching one every other cast. Some people were limiting out after 1.5 hours of fishing (especially people who were jigging their line...pulling it as they reeled in) with small pixies. Also it was cloudy and 55 degrees, so I wonder if the temperature and lack of clouds had anything to do with it. I think the 1st run of pinks came in weak and they are swimming around the port in a school probably.

On Friday people were catching less fish.

Today, July 4th, we headed over there at 1pm (near high tide) and it was DEAD compared with thursday. There were a million people at Allison point with no fish to show for the hours they put into it! I saw maybe 1 or 2 fish on the shore next to people. We fished there for 30 minutes...didn't see any seals....no fish jumping....and it was HOT...probably in the 70s. Even the boats were not catching anything (at least while we were there and I asked people on the shore if they saw any action...none)

We drove to Solomon's gulch and people were catching lots of seaweed! You could see the pinks rolling in front of the weir (metal spikes that prevent the fish from going up the river), but you can only fish 300 ft away from it. A little boat that was coming in the ramp west of Solomon's gulch told me they caught about 4 or 5 pinks.

The weather forecast for this week is going to be in the 70s every day through friday! don't know if that is a good thing or not for the fishing...

I have been stopping by the city docks every day and people have been catching lots of 16 legged starfish, but nothing else.

The charters are catching a lot of halibut, yellow-eyes, ling-cod, rockfish and even saw a salmon shark yesterday!
    Last edited by DaveInValdez; 07-04-2009 at 17:38. Reason: typos

Watched 3 yahoos snag a half dozen in about 1/2 hour late last night on the west side of the point. Seriously intentional snagging efforts, then the whole kick the fish up the beach and smash it with a rock trick. All in very poor form.

Lots of brown bear activity in the area, so keep your eyes open, especially for that 4 year old who is very curious about everything that moves. He's ranging from the terminal to the refinery all along the road and beach. Comes out at midnight and is very active in the early morning hours.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

you can snag in the salt water down there can't you?
    hopin' the pinks get in by the 8th so i can run down with my kids and go to work for a while before i head out on the next hunt....dave, tell 'em to hurry it up would ya!!
    can't drive that far and not have fish around...man the kids would kill me then!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

pinks.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish6025 View Post
    pinks.

How about this

Pinks.

... .... .. _

Starting to smell like a run failure in Valdez.

Yes it's legal to snag in the salt water there.

i am hoping they are in pretty good taking my wife to valdez for her first time we will be there from the 8-12th, please keep us posted

Pinks will readilly take lures and flies, there is really no need to snag them.

Default Try poop

I think you could poop on a hook and a pink in Valdez would take it.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default Not this year

I checked my pots this morning and saw one jump in an hours time on the water. We returned from Hich. yesterday and I saw few for the two days out. They are doing some cost recovery operations as of today. One seiner friend was out and got 156 in one set, his best set. There was a small push last week and some people got some at Allison last week.

That is it.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

on our way in the morning so we should be there in about 18 hours (including sleeping tonight) ready or not here we come

How are the bears in Valdez? I have heard of two, honest familes going down there this past week or so and both being "chased' by bears. THe bears are supposedly not man-fearing and are being aggresive...I am going down on Friday and don't want to be troubled with them

just left there on tuesday. I was there for a week out in the boat every day and no major numbers have shown up when I was there. It is looking like a good year for the Butts and Rock Fish though. I just hope the Silvers show up like last year!

I just got back from Valdez today. Fished Allison Point all day Saturday. I didn't catch anything, the people around me weren't catching anything either. I talked to a few people and all the fish they caught were from snagging. People were catching the fish, and there are a TON of fish that come right up the the rocks, but nothing hit for me..

Saturday night, several people were fishing(snagging) fish right from the hatchery. Maybe like 100 feet behind the plateau and where the stream curves. I know that it is illegal to fish within 300 feet of it so whats the deal? I think it is very cheap and ridiculous. The fish had no place to go other then down stream and they were sitting there snagging them, that's not sport fishing.

Also, watch out for the grizzlies if you go..

They really need to do a better job policing that! If one guy does it without being busted another 10 will join in within the hour. This gets out of hand really fast. Guess maybe everyone there is getting despirate? No King run, Pinks are not really there like usual. Man the silver run is looking questionable!

ok so heres my fishing report, got down there for the pm high tide on the 9th and we caught 9 and lost 3 in about 45 minutes half in the mouth and the other half from snagging, next day not so lucky t wa overcast and we only caught four but i made sure to hit both tides and we caught both are limits every day the last day i was there we were catching them like crazy.

and YES WATCH OUT FOR BEARS a young grizzly snuck up on us every night at the am tide and by snuck up i mean real close before we saw it was only about 3 years old and seemed very interested in what we were doing

all in all the run wasnt in real thick but for the 5 days we were down there we caught 50 fish so only ten short of our limit most of them snagged though

i also saw the people fishing real close to the wier and it really wasnt nescesary but if your going down and you want to limit get the biggest pixies and snag or you can also use large kastmasters they work better for that

we had a blast and next year we will be there again hoping for stronger numbers

A co-worker fished it this weekend with his girlfriend. The run showed up pretty much right as they showed up. The limited out, cleaned fish, then after midnight caught another limit the next day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast