Thread: Russian River Trout

Default Russian River Trout

I am interested in fly fishing the Russian for trout in mid July for Rainbows. I am interested to know what type of flies they will be interested in at this time. I would assume beads would work, but was considering throwing dry's, nymph's, leaches, etc. I would be very appreciative on any info about what specific fly patterns would work. Thanks in advance for your help.

My best streamer was tied on a number 8 streamer hook. Bronze cone nose, silver body, black zonker strip on top, white on bottom with a touch of red on the throat.

No beads on the Russian. Headed out the door right now to do a bit of fishing. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    No beads on the Russian. Headed out the door right now to do a bit of fishing. Good luck!
    Good info. Thanks. I could just use glo-bugs. I would think that tossing flesh would be a good idea since there is an abundance of carcasses. Especially below the cleaning tables. Any thoughts?

Whatever you do, don't try black Maribou Leeches. They absolutely do not work
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post
    Good info. Thanks. I could just use glo-bugs. I would think that tossing flesh would be a good idea since there is an abundance of carcasses. Especially below the cleaning tables. Any thoughts?
    The only cleaning tables are the two at the confluence, however there are lots of flesh piles along the river.

Default regulations on beads

If I read the regs correctly beads are OK as long as they are part of the fly - you just can't have them above the fly on the leaders - on the leader they are called "fish attractors" and are indeed illegal at least during this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Yeah, thats correct. Fixed to the hook I believe is ok. I was pretty sure he was talking about standard bead rig, pegged on the leader within 2" of the bare hook is not allowed in "Fly Fishing Only" waters. Which on the Russian is 6/11-8/20

Default Fly Water

I just flew back from that area and the Russian is low and the reds are being pounded like no other. I decided to do some tradition trout fishing in the mix mid day and did well fishing a standard bead head olive bugger size six. Biggest Trout just over 18 which was reasonable considering the 80 degree day and all the people. Fished all the normal trout spots skip chasing anything behind salmon. Not the best fishing for trout but mor than enough along the way in the middle of all the people to have some fun.

Best Wishes and Tight lines.

Default 4th Weekend

Battle Bunny and flesh were the ticket this past weekend. Did want to try some dries but never got around to it. Anyone use dries mid-July and what type?

Tony

Default egg sucking leach

Fished the russian for trout on sunday. Caught a few on flesh but the purple egg sucking leach was on fire.

Default stimulator

If dry flies are your thing, go at night. Last Sunday night at about 9:00 I caught a 20in plus rainbow on a yellow stimulator. I hooked up on another with a green drake, but lost him.