Thread: red salmon question

Default red salmon question

Ok,

So I know there is the debate about whether reds will actually take a fly or if they are all flossed. I don't want to get that started again but I do need some help. There is a slack water pool that just stacks up with reds in late july that I want to fish. Problem is no current=no flossing. I was wondering what other ideas people have or if anyone has been in this situation before and has successfully caught these fish without snagging them.

Bottom line,
    1. Slack water pool
    2. Tons of fresh reds
    3. No current to flip in to
    4. What can I try?

Default Fly fishing senario.....

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    Ok,

So I know there is the debate about whether reds will actually take a fly or if they are all flossed. I don't want to get that started again but I do need some help. There is a slack water pool that just stacks up with reds in late july that I want to fish. Problem is no current=no flossing. I was wondering what other ideas people have or if anyone has been in this situation before and has successfully caught these fish without snagging them.

Bottom line,
    1. Slack water pool
    2. Tons of fresh reds
    3. No current to flip in to
    4. What can I try?
    Couple ways I have been successfull in this type of situation.... You can do what they call "tight lining" in the Pacific NW, where cast light weight and small crokies that float a leader up and have the rod at a very low angle and weight for the fish to swim w/ their mouth through the leader.

Another botter methiod is almost now weight flyfishing. Cast into the pool w/ just enough weight to get down to the fish w/ floating line and fly rod and figure out the best presentation or lining technique... On that note, even though you may not believe there to be current in this hole, there likely is enough flow for the fish to orientate one direction or another if htey are resting or they may even be cruising around in a predictable pattern.

Exclamation Minimal Weight

An effective method for reds in "froggy" water is to use one or two split shot and a long leader. Cast into the school, give it a second or two to sink, then retrieve S-L-O-W-L-Y.

Default another way

I have ran into this before and yes there is more than likely a current down there sometimes running the opposite of what you would think. The methods described above are the best ways in my opinion. Another thing i do is I find where the current is flowing into the calm pool, flip into the current and let it drift into the calm water. Usually you can line the ones just inside of the current while they are staging themselves to shoot up river.

Why make it seem so complicated? Its all snagging and its the only way to get a red. Just own it... and smoke it. And take only what you need above all else.

Dynamite works pretty good too.
    Tennessee

cast and let the fly dangle in front of their nose. I've had em snap at flys just cause it pisses em off enough. I've drifted and held flies down stream just a head of pod of reds and more often than not they'll snap at it and you can set the hook.

most of time in a current it's easier to floss em....