Thread: Suggestions for a Beginner Float Hunt

Default Suggestions for a Beginner Float Hunt

I've recently picked up a Pro Pioneer and would like some suggestions on a good beginner's float hunt. Safety and learning how to handle the boat are more important than productivity at this point but I'd like at least a reasonable chance at something. I'll be spending quite a bit of time on the raft until hunting season learning the ins and outs.

I prefer the Interior and I hope to avoid air transport. I've considered- the Gulkana, the Fortymile and possibly using it to cross the Sag. Anyone know of one I may be missing?

Hopefully after I figure it out I'll book a fly in next year.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've recently picked up a Pro Pioneer and would like some suggestions on a good beginner's float hunt. Safety and learning how to handle the boat are more important than productivity at this point but I'd like at least a reasonable chance at something. I'll be spending quite a bit of time on the raft until hunting season learning the ins and outs.

I prefer the Interior and I hope to avoid air transport. I've considered- the Gulkana, the Fortymile and possibly using it to cross the Sag. Anyone know of one I may be missing?

Hopefully after I figure it out I'll book a fly in next year.

Suggestions for beginner:

Shadow box in front of a full length mirror while playing the rocky soundtrack on level 11.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Suggestions for beginner:

Shadow box in front of a full length mirror while playing the rocky soundtrack on level 11.

what the heck does that mean?

Hodge? consider the yukon as well...it is easy enough to float.with entry at circle and take out on the dalton... a Guy could spend at least a week there... lots of country. good chance for moose and some calling... really good chance for fall black bear.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    what the heck does that mean?

Hodge? consider the yukon as well...it is easy enough to float.with entry at circle and take out on the dalton... a Guy could spend at least a week there... lots of country. good chance for moose and some calling... really good chance for fall black bear.

It's called humor dude.........chill out

Default Rivers for first-timers

Hodge,

Any of the options you mentioned could fit the bill. I'm sure you know to expect company on all three; the key is in knowing how to hunt them and how to get away from the pressure. The Gulkana has that canyon section on it which can give you trouble, so be careful. Not trying to sell you something , but my float hunting book has writeups on the Gulkana and the bridge-to-bridge float on the Fortymile. you might check that out if you haven't already.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Vince, Thanks- I hadn't considered the Yukon at all but I'll certainly consider it. Is the power boat traffic pretty significant?

Michael- I picked up your book at the Spring Sportsman show in Fairbanks. I've been reading and enjoying it. Looking at several hunts next year that you describe.

Mainer- I tried that but it looked like dancing...

Another great float is the upper nenana, A Popular area for sure but really not to bad on the north side of the river. My hunting partner and I drove up the denali highway to the Nenana put-in however we felt as though we were getting too short a stretch of river, so we drove up the road a little ways farther to Seattle Creek, and put-in there. Pretty sure we now have the first decent of this creek, no other signs of boaters being there before. When you meet up with the Nenana, you are much higher up river with plenty of good terrain to be had for a week, Next year we are going to go for trying to get down Bruskasna Crk, Just a suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by mogul720 View Post
    Another great float is the upper nenana, A Popular area for sure but really not to bad on the north side of the river. My hunting partner and I drove up the denali highway to the Nenana put-in however we felt as though we were getting too short a stretch of river, so we drove up the road a little ways farther to Seattle Creek, and put-in there. Pretty sure we now have the first decent of this creek, no other signs of boaters being there before. When you meet up with the Nenana, you are much higher up river with plenty of good terrain to be had for a week, Next year we are going to go for trying to get down Bruskasna Crk, Just a suggestion
    I did Seattle creek a few weeks ago in a packraft as well. Decent water flow then, but if it dropped much I don't believe regular rafts would be able to get down without much dragging. Brushkana gives you about another 5 miles of river on the Nenana and much more fun to float than Seattle Creek IMO.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

boats? river is large enough to not worry about them.. I rode the barges for 2 years also.. those are the ones to watch for... 15' wake going up.but they are slow you can hear it... and have time to move... not to mentoin given the time they will idle back for floaters. but barge traffic has signaicantly dwindled in the upper river by Sept... as the water drops.
    Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Vince, Thanks- I hadn't considered the Yukon at all but I'll certainly consider it. Is the power boat traffic pretty significant?

Michael- I picked up your book at the Spring Sportsman show in Fairbanks. I've been reading and enjoying it. Looking at several hunts next year that you describe.

Mainer- I tried that but it looked like dancing...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here