Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Akcapt- berkley bait

Smile Akcapt- berkley bait

Thanx for the info last year on using Berkley Pogy's for Silvers. I limited out today early at Pony using those baits and they are better than herring. And they were good for 2-4 fish each. So much easier and cheaper, I'm going to try some of the bigger ones for winter kings this winter.
    Thanx again for the good info

Which Berkley baits are you talking about? Please elaborate. I usally just use vibrax #6 with a dab of herring oil dripped on the inside of the bell and do just fine, but always looking for other options.

Default bait

Its Berkley power bait stuff. They are 3&4 inch Pogy baits. Looks kind of like small fish. I just thread the hook thru the nose and out the top of the back. Use 3-4' of leader behind 3-5 oz sinker and mooch or power mooch with them. The silvers will hit them just dangling from the boat when you are helping someone. I tried troll herring at the same time to compare, and just switched to the Berkley, worked better and simpler. And the older I get , the more I like simple.

I just checked them out on the berkley site. Pretty realistic looking. Guess I will have to give them a try. I like simple also. I use to use herring and ran out one day at Pony and I had 2 left to catch. I tried the #6 Vibrax blue with the herring oil and I had my limit in 10 minutes. Gave up the herring.
    Last edited by chico99645; 07-04-2009 at 15:59. Reason: Didn't read all of original thread

Is this the stuff:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Berkley-Saltwate...3A1%7C294%3A50

Would you use it for Halibut as well?

Where are you finding them?\

Default Berkley

Sodabiscuit, thats the stuff. I bought the pogy's at Trustworthy's, in Soldotna, but B&J's has them. I don't know if they would work for halibut, to small. The berkley power bait grubs work great, the halibut just won't let go. But $4 for 2 they get kind of expensive.

Talking There will be a run on them now at Trustworthy's

I thought we were going to keep that a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by tomfishhunter View Post
    Thanx for the info last year on using Berkley Pogy's for Silvers. I limited out today early at Pony using those baits and they are better than herring. And they were good for 2-4 fish each. So much easier and cheaper, I'm going to try some of the bigger ones for winter kings this winter.
    Thanx again for the good info
    No problem on the info, they work great on kings too. We killed the silvers on the gulp today.

Glad to help!

I've used the small gulp herring tails and they are a killer on rock fish.

Smile Gulp

I've used the 3-4" on silvers and they were hot. They also make a large SQUID made of the same stuff and soaked in the "magic" solution they come packaged in. Works great for butts on a jig.

M

Dug up last years thread. Did anyone have any luck last year with the Berkely Gulp Bait. If so, what colors did you have best luck with for Silvers etc..... ? Just got a Cabelas Gift Certificate from work and want to buy some bait in preparation of this summer.

I used the berkley gulp saltwater and silvers nail it. I was using the herring blue/white 3" pogies.

I don't think color will matter too much.

I've used the olive green and the blue, did'nt make much diff. Just keep it a secret and we will do good

Thanks Guys I appreciate the information.

What size hooks were you guys using?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I was using standard mooching rigs, and I'd have to check my tackle box as I have a few different sized hooks, but they don't seem to make much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I was using standard mooching rigs, and I'd have to check my tackle box as I have a few different sized hooks, but they don't seem to make much difference.
    Mooching #4 seems like it will work.
    Will i run into you in by knight island this year?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

If I get out as much as I'd like to, possibly. But I'll likely go to Seward for day fishing trip, and head to the sound for multi day trips that will be more land based with the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    If I get out as much as I'd like to, possibly. But I'll likely go to Seward for day fishing trip, and head to the sound for multi day trips that will be more land based with the family.
    Same here. One goal of mine is to figure the halibut spots are in Seward. I know montegue is a sure thing but, looking for other areas.
    Lets try hook up in pony cove one time
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast