Thread: hunting jackets

Default hunting jackets

Hello to my fellow hunters im getting ready to spend some serious cash on what i hope to be the best &last hunting do all keep me warm, dry, with all the wizz bangs, coat /jacket ill ever need. any advice will be deeply appreciated i live in the tongas rain jungle but sometimes slide down to the rockies thanks redawg

Default Different setups for different types of hunting.

I don't think there is a end all be all coat if you are doing any hiking at all. Rather than getting just one warm coat, I really prefer layering over a big warm coat. A good base layer, and a waterproof shell (impertech or quality gore-tex) is what I use when I am hiking. Then when I stop out comes the Cabelas Insulator jacket. This setup is much more versitile than a big warm coat. However an HH impertech jacket and a cabelas insulator jacket can be had for about $100 combined. Throw in the bibs and you are up to only $125. Still one of the best deals on Impertech I've seen in a while. A good sweet setup for a relatively inexpensive price tag.

Cabelas Trans-ALaska Insulator Jacket

HH Impertech II Deluxe Rain Jacket & Bibs

Just something to look into.

If you are tree stand hunting you can get away with one big warm coat though as you won't be expending a bunch of heat from hiking.

I'm sure more will chime in here with what works for them. Above is just what kind of system works for me.

Default Sitka Gear

Check out Sitka Gear - I hear their system is really good. I have no personal experience but I have heard good things about their system. They are NOT cheap.

Other than that - fleece, fleece, fleece, and then something to protect against rain & wind.

Quote Originally Posted by redawg View Post
    Hello to my fellow hunters im getting ready to spend some serious cash on what i hope to be the best &last hunting do all keep me warm, dry, with all the wizz bangs, coat /jacket ill ever need. any advice will be deeply appreciated i live in the tongas rain jungle but sometimes slide down to the rockies thanks redawg

I have been using a jacket and pants made by River's West since 2004 and have been well pleased. If you are very active and the temperatures are above 40 degrees they can be a little warm in their heaviest weight cloth. As an outer layer garment they are very durable, they are as waterproof as any non rubber item I've ever used and breathable. My jacket and pants have proven very durable and I expect several more seasons from them.

When I purchased my outfit they only made the heaviest style fabric. I will buy another jacket this fall and it will be made from their mid weight cloth.

http://www.riverswest.com/hifi_fabrics.html

I bought a Patagonia micropuff jacket on web special from their site this winter. I really like it. I think this will be a great lightweight jacket for days that aren't too cold. I also have a HH Impertech jacket for the rain and heavy wind. This spring I bought a Brooks Range jacket from Barney's with the hood. I figure these three should take care of just about anything that I come across that I am willing to hunt in. Now maybe if I get that musk ox tag.....

Default blue flannel

After our early June 2-day bear hunt my buddy and I decided that we are going to contact Real Tree and suggest a blue flannel and gray t-shirt camo. That was what worn on both our harvests. Funny how we all have HH Impertech, Patagonia, Cabelas, etc. and when we harvest the big blackies we are wearing regular ole clothes.

Don't get me wrong....fly or float in the back country, you better have good gear. All are great suggestions and if you are like me you've got enough camo to equal the amount of shoes your wife has!!!!

Tony

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Do not, DO not, DO NOT....

spend300 bucks on the ducks unlimited gortex lined. 3 season coat...

i stayed dry... ONE RAIN SHOWER....

after that.. no amount of water proofing kept it dry...AKGUY454 was with me and can testify as to how miserable i was through out that hunt....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by redawg View Post
    No jacket is going to be flexible enough to meet all conditions. But this one is what I use as a foundation with matching bibs. Add layers underneath for more cold, but this one stays outside.

When it comes to "one size fits all" in camo patterns, that outfitter pattern does come closest to hitting all situations. I know, I know. It doesn't look as fancy as the Real Tree and all the other brush prints, but it just plain works. I've used it on everything from tundra to forest to corn field and desert, and it works well in all of them. Can't say that about any Real Tree pattern in my (very extensive and expensive) coat rack.

Default My Favorite...Thus far.

I'm a fan of Mt. Hardware's Compressor Jacket & Pants...They are great to throw on at night in a lightweight sleeping bag, or lounging around camp after the harvest.

I always stuff the jacket into a Sea to Summit bag (Compressed to about the size of a small nerf football) It is great to toss on when glassing in a cool, windy spot...Can't wait to put it and start glassing!

Default Sitka

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    No jacket is going to be flexible enough to meet all conditions. But this one is what I use as a foundation with matching bibs. Add layers underneath for more cold, but this one stays outside.

When it comes to "one size fits all" in camo patterns, that outfitter pattern does come closest to hitting all situations. I know, I know. It doesn't look as fancy as the Real Tree and all the other brush prints, but it just plain works. I've used it on everything from tundra to forest to corn field and desert, and it works well in all of them. Can't say that about any Real Tree pattern in my (very extensive and expensive) coat rack.
    What about your new Sitka

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    What about your new Sitka
    Haven't a clue what you're talking about. You got the right BrownBear? Or you thinking about BRWNBR?

Haven't a clue what you're talking about. You got the right BrownBear? Or you thinking about BRWNBR?
    it is certainly a case of mistaken ID-10-T Jake (BRWNBR) is the one with the new sitka gear. I am not sure if he has the optifade pattern or not.

For jackets I have a new mountaineering shell made from eVent fabric. I am very excited about it! I also picked up a set of matching pants. I also have a Sitka 90% jacket wich is nice but tends to be either too hot or too cold. I have found it gets left in the pack or replaced with a heavier jacket 90% of the time. It is a great around town jacket but my green colombia softshell is a little more urban looking and handles that task just as well.

I remommend you looking for a "system" rather than a "jacket" Find a good shell, then find the layers that will let you taylor that shell for a variety of uses! Merino wool base layer, poly shirt, underarmour, fleece, a vest, compressible insulator jacket, soft shell etc.

I found that 90% of my hunting last year was done with a military issue Poly pro 1/2 zip and a $12 Fleece vest over it. As a base layer I wore a $7 gray Walmart poly athletic shirt. The whole thing dried quick and I could pull up the sleeves if I wanted. When I got up high and was sitting around glassing I pulled out my uber expensive sitka jacket and wore it till I started hiking again. Seems silly to even have it along since I could have got the same functionality out of a much cheaper jacket. Seriously 90% of my hunting in south central was done in upper layers that combined cost under $20

In the SE a Carthart coat and HH rain gear will cover about all hunting need except for the days when blue flanel a t-shirt is just the ticket.Foot gear is more important in most of the Tongas than coats

Default River's West crap

Be very careful of this stuff (river's west). Having actual field experience with it under severe conditions, I can say without reservation that this gear could kill you. It is not waterproof. Once wet, it is a bxxxx to get anything like dry again in the field. It is only breathable for those who cannot sweat through a t-shirt, otherwise it traps perspiration. (you think you are cold now...)

This gear may be ok for lighter conditions in the lower 48, but don't expect it to do well under the worst of conditions up here.

Default Sorry

You know all those brown bears look alike

Quote Originally Posted by traderjon View Post
    Be very careful of this stuff (river's west). Having actual field experience with it under severe conditions, I can say without reservation that this gear could kill you.
    Do you actually know someone that died from wearing this gear? Did their throat get caught in a zipper?

Seriously, I know that some have had reservations about this stuff (seems like everything has a few critics), but I've used mine in some pretty tough conditions her in AK (fall moose & bear on the Peninsula) and in the lower 48 and I can't say I thought my life was in jeopardy because of my coat, rather I was fairly comfortable and dry in what were pretty miserable conditions. As for waterproof, I've not found a non rubber product that is waterproof, but then rivers west is not as heavy and it is "breathable" at least moderately so. I know several hunters using their lighter weight material with complete satisfaction, though I have not tried it myself.