Thread: Kasilof reds help

Default Kasilof reds help

Down with the dam this weekend in ninilchik but we towed the river boat down just incase we get a chance to do some dipping I'm not familiar with the area much at all and would appreciate any tips on where to launch and also wondering if there's a up limit on the kasilof are our chances better from the boat or shore I know this is last minute but any help would be awesome thanks

Default Kasilof tips

Check out my post @

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...833#post514833

for detailed info.

~tr

For the Kasilof, leave the boat on the trailer. Go stand on the bank at the mouth. The launch is many miles upriver at the highway bridge. Lots of motor eating rocks along the way. Boats don't offer any advantage at the mouth for dipping.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    For the Kasilof, leave the boat on the trailer. Go stand on the bank at the mouth. The launch is many miles upriver at the highway bridge. Lots of motor eating rocks along the way. Boats don't offer any advantage at the mouth for dipping.
    I respectfully disagree. I paid my dues many times in the muck watching four guys in a Zodiac just hammer 'em while I wore and froze myself out.

When you use a boat at the Kasilof, you don't have to wait for the fish to find you, and you always have your net heading in the right direction, no matter what the tide is doing.

Granted, the Kasilof is no place for bigger boats, as you've got to be able to maneuver in shallows with human and other boat traffic.

Default boat vs shore

Boaters get more than most shore dippers. Beach launch a small boat on the sand and watch for the muck; its really nasty.

We took my 14' river boat down, it was no problem putting it in just a bit tough getting it out. We SLAMMED the fish about 50 in 4 hours from high tide to low tide got fish on every run. First time in the dip net scene and next year will I will be there again.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

a dozen boats on the kasilof would be nuts though its a small area for to many boats. last year there was about five boats out there and we had to really watch it. some of the beach netters really get their nets out then get mad about a wake. but we'd go right below the dippers and slam the fish in about a foot of water..but NO ONE on shore caught on and backed up, they wade out as far as they can and just push the fish to the middle of the river...ie the boats. helped us out alot. our two boats put more fish in the coolers than the hundred or so dippers put together.

you'd be better off to get six guys in one boat, rather than 2 guys in each boat...that mouth will get cluttered in a hurry and as the tide goes out it gets pretty small....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Wake and Shore Dippers

Shore dippers don't realize it usually, but wake can be beneficial to their fishing.

There's a technique that commercial gillnetters use called "running the net" that can be drive fish into the net when it's slow.

Sometimes the salmon would swirl around and not go through the mesh in certain conditions, so we'd put a buoy on the boat end and cut it loose, then run the boat just a ways off the corkline. The salmon would swim off in a hurry away from the boat and the wake and run right into the net.

I've done this a few times at the Kasilof when the shore dippers were receptive and got some good results, too.

Of course, there tends to be some animosity from shore to us in boats, so lots of consideration and respect are in order.

It's especially tricky right at the point to ride the current and stay off the shore nets.

Anyway, there's enough fish for everybody, and people are always looking for a way to do things more efficiently.

~tr

Default Bring on the boats

I dipped last week there. Every time a boat went by I had a fish hit the net. It appeared to me that the boats were pushing the fish into the net.

I was happy to see the boats go by myself.