Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Denali Highway

Default Fishing Denali Highway

Hi Folks,

I have a friend visiting me from below in late July. I want to take him out for a bit of an adventure, but a back pack trip (my usual kinda outing) may be more than he's up for. I was thinking about a trip through the Denali highway. Kinda' want to try and fish with some solitude as opposed to the usual south central road system salmon fishing trips. Grayling/trout seems like the best ticket and Denali highway the place. I have all the necessary camping gear, tackle, and could bring a canoe or atv's. He arrives in Anchorage on a late Friday night and returns on a Sunday night, so time is fairly limited. Any suggestions as far as water and fishing we can access up there?
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default Plenty of water

There are many, many places to fish along the Denali. If you take the Parks and begin at Cantwell, stop at Brushkana Creek, the fish are small but plentiful. I will drive next to Clearwater Creek. Not as many but bigger. Caught both grayling and dollies. There are a number of lakes that are a short hike from the road that will produce and finally the Tangle Lakes system... There will be some competition here, but it is a nice campground and nice lakes/creeks. The road is paved from here on out to Paxon.

Take ultralight gear. I've had my best success highsticking a dry fly... anything.

Cheers

Default lakers???

Thanks alaskan. anyone with any suggestions for lakers a little more off the road somewhere? I'm concerned that the streams along the highway itself will be kinda a crowded for my taste.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

there are so many streams along that highway that there is very little pressure if any. I always use a dry fly and you will catch as many grayling as your heart desires

I have fished every stream along the Denali Highway at one time or another. Not once have I ever fished with another person nearby. The creeks don't see much action at all. The only place I have caught lakers was Butte Lake and that's a pretty good hike off the road.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

don't worry about crowds on the denali hwy. you could go on a sat. in july and not see another person all day. more grayling than you could believe. fun, because you can string up your 2 wt., stick a couple #12 elk hair caddice to your hat and grab your hemos and you are good for the whole day. take care, abel6wt

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I have fished every stream along the Denali Highway at one time or another. Not once have I ever fished with another person nearby. The creeks don't see much action at all. The only place I have caught lakers was Butte Lake and that's a pretty good hike off the road.
    Butte Lake has some great lake trout fishing. Its not that far of a hike of the road about 4 miles. 1-1.5 hours of hiking and you'll be there and its worth it IMO. Plus seeing your post in the ATV forum you can just wheeler in there and camp no problem if you wanna go that route too.

There are some other lakes with lake trout in them as well, but they are 10+ miles off the road. Brushkana (if you get a couple miles up or downstream of the bridge produces 16-18" greyling more than the 12-14" for me. Its just the the holes next to the bridge get fished so much is why the perception is that they are all small.

Just about any tickle of water along the Denali has potential for greyling. Lots of streams and little amount of people leaves a lot of solitude even right by the road.

Good luck.

I fished along the Denali and never ran into anybody else, until caribou season starts and then you'll see the odd vehicle but that's about it.

Default Denali fishing

Just got back from doing the whole loop - Anchorage to Cantwell to Paxon back to Anchorage. As mentioned, most running water/creeks have potential. The father up or downstream you hike from the nearest road, wheeler trail, or campfire ring the better and bigger the grayling. I catch and release all of my grayling for others to enjoy or as long as my spot "appears" to be a secret for me to catch next year . Pics have been altered to leave out distinguishing terrain features. I scoled my wife for taking pics with scenery as background

These grayling measured about 18".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Just got back from doing the whole loop - Anchorage to Cantwell to Paxon back to Anchorage. As mentioned, most running water/creeks have potential. The father up or downstream you hike from the nearest road, wheeler trail, or campfire ring the better and bigger the grayling. I catch and release all of my grayling for others to enjoy or as long as my spot "appears" to be a secret for me to catch next year . Pics have been altered to leave out distinguishing terrain features. I scoled my wife for taking pics with scenery as background

Looks the same as my weekend up there...couple dozen nice Grayling...released.

Default Another pic to wet the appetite

Here is one my son Eli helped G-Pa reel in. We were all using 5wt 9' fly poles with various wet flys. These hogs were hard to reel in on a 5wt pole.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Looks the same as my weekend up there...couple dozen nice Grayling...released.
    That's cool. As a family we had never driven the whole thing. We had only gone in from Cantwell turned around and came back out. Aweseome place to camp, fish, and wheeler. If you take the time to research the non-motorized areas there is still plenty to do along that highway. The gravel pit or "primitive" camping - as the Milepost calls it - is IMO the best thing about the hwy.

It`s a fun place.

BTW, there are some nice lakers in Glacier Lake as well as some pike and grayling.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post

You distorted the pics for those Dinkers?
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Silly I know but....

a guy has to do what a guy has to do. I'm as guilty as the next guy for trolling around in the forum depths for any tidbit of information which might clue me into a good fishing hole, hunting spot, or trail. IMO forums are to provide general "how to" or "what works" information not necessarily gps coordinates of favorite "insert activity" spots.

It's all good though, I found this spot because someone else or somebody elses left enough of a trail for me to follow....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

here is another option.

hit the Haul Road...

North of the arctic circle is a wonderful place for visitors...

the grayling are awesome in nearly every creek... 16" last weekend was the smallest... the Kanuti has a boat launch for SMALL crafts and air boat as does the koyukuk... in several places...

any way if you have a few days..... give it a thought...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'll second Vince's comment. Last year I went up to Coldfoot with the wife and for two days I ran up an down the haul road fishing every likely stream with my 6wt rod. What a blast.

pike on the denali highway? no way... I hunted the Denali Higway last fall, got my moose and went home all in all a total of 22 hours on the denali highway for me.....no fishing.. but will try to fish all creeks and lakes available from cantwell to paxson this year

Thumbs up I 2nd that no pike thing...lakers& grayling

i did the "fbks loop" twice this year ( 4 days each),seen some folks out and about on the 4th but thats about it ... u go during the week day and u WILL be by yourself ( read, nothing like 600+ arces of lake to yourself ) ,the lower 48'ers that u find driving .. have not a clue as to whats "just off the road" to play in..they will pound the "near to the road streams" and tell u they are knock'em out....but u know better cause just over that hill they are 3 times as big and 10 as many ! ps:catch and release so u can do it year after year...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default Pike @ Glacier Lake

Was reading the cabin book and had been reported several times in there that people caught pike...I only saw lakers and grayling????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast