Thread: Best Line options for Reds and Silvers?

Default Best Line options for Reds and Silvers?

Looking for the best line options for Reds and Silvers. Is it best to stick to the old standby mono's or switch to the new floro's or the braided stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by KKohler1 View Post
    Looking for the best line options for Reds and Silvers. Is it best to stick to the old standby mono's or switch to the new floro's or the braided stuff?
    I am a life-long fan of mono (Berkley Big Game)....However, in swift river current I'll sacrifice my rod guides and use 50 lb braid. Sometimes you need it.

Default Wivetale...

Quote Originally Posted by Crab_n_fish View Post
    I am a life-long fan of mono (Berkley Big Game)....However, in swift river current I'll sacrifice my rod guides and use 50 lb braid. Sometimes you need it.
    Modern rod guides are not affected by kevlar lines... While they will wrap around the tip and break in a heartbeat though..

Braid is difficult to flip w/ due to the fact that you would have to wear gloves, and if you are fishing in the upper river the water clearity would be a concern.... Personally, I like very light weight and fly line, no gloves for me.

I would go with 20 - 25 mono like P-Line CXX. Braid is not user friendly for flippin especially in a combat line up. It's extremely hard to untangle. Fly line is also a good option.

Lightbulb 30-Pound Mono Leader on Fly Rod

For flippin' with the bankies on the Kenai and Russian, recommend using heavier than normal line to withstand the abrasions sustained from coming into constant contact with the rocks on the river bottom and tangles with combat fishing neighbors.

After suffering many lost fish due to line failure, I finally settled on 30-pound mono leaders. It holds up well under the stress and now allows me to fish longer without re-rigging. With the flossing technique, the heavier line doesn't seem to have a negative impact on the number of hook-ups either.

Definitely go with an fly rod spooled with fly line. It's much easier on the hands and fingers. I like an 8 weight rod and reel with floating line. Just make sure the reel has a good drag that can keep a freight train sockeye from running downstream and back to the salt!

For me, it depends entirely on the method I'm using to fish. For any flipping, I prefer mono (have not made the leap to a fly rod yet). Almost all other types of fishing I prefer 25-30lb test braid.

I've had tremendous success in salt for silvers using braided lines.

For the last 3 years I've used fly line on a fly rod. Someone suggested a sink tip or a floating line. Since I was just flipping, I went with a cheap all sink fly line (honestly, I didn't know the difference 3 years ago). I then switched to a sink tip. I prefer the full sink line. It gets down where you want it, it's affected less by the current, I can use less weight, etc... I haven't used a floating line, but many people do and seem to do just fine.

This year, I loaded one of my fly reels with 25 lb mono. I like it, but if I was doing it again, I'd use 30 lb mono because the leader I use (fluorocarbon or mono) is usually 20-25 lb. I like the leader to be the weak link.

I also like the slinky type sinkers. I know several who like split shot and rubber core sinkers, but I've had nothing but bad luck with them. I can't seem to keep from getting them hung up and lost.