Thread: Replacement AK Hull ID/Serial number

Proud and Free in Delta Junction, Alaska.

Red face Replacement AK Hull ID/Serial number

Does anyone know for fact if the DMV will assign a new Hull ID number for a boat that has the number gone, with no hope of ever finding out what it was. I have an older smokercraft Alaskan aluminum boat, and the tag is just a peice of aluminum now, with no raised print, and all painted info gone. I pulled it off to use the old pencil led trick, and nothing. Even scanned it to my pc to try and pull a few lighting tricks on it, and nothing. I heard tale they would assign a new HID, but didn't want to go in and make a fool of myself if they said no. Thanks if you can help.

I did that with a snow machine trailer once... They just wanted me to contact the previous owner......when I made the effort ( never did get ahold of him ) they gave me a title and registration for it. Basically like it what a home made trailer. it shouldnt be a big deal...just make sure you get the DMV lady thats in a good mood. Thats the hardest part. : )

That was a lame example.......good luck

Proud and Free in Delta Junction, Alaska.

Luckily I live in delta and have just one DMV employee. She set me up good with a brand new Alaska Hull ID number, and new registration. She didn't even want to look at the boat to check herself for a number. Nice to see trust there, the folks in fairbanks wanted me to bring it in to be inspected. Finally on the water, and it feels great. Funny you put the snowmaching trailer, I have an old boat trailer that was rebuilt, and I converted it to a flatbed,but it still accomidates my boat, that I was never given a title to, purchased from GI shipped out to kuwait, and I need to do what you did to get it titled and registered. Thanks for all the help.

I had to do this with my canoe when I registered it a few years ago (I have the ability to put a motor on it); and the folks here in Fbx didn't require to see it as I had the old registration. It'd been in my family since it was new in '74, and was registered in my name in another state. They issued me a new HID and the registration papers. I stamped the original tag with the new number and was good to go.

Good to hear that you got it operational, sometimes the DMV people are helpful, just have to catch them on a good day.