Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coleman Gas Stoves

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Coleman Gas Stoves

Isn't there ANY STORE in Anch, The Valley, OR even in FogBanks that still sells the Coleman Gasoline Stoves. (Like the 425)

I haven't found any. It seems they only sell the PROPANE stoves, nowadays.

Don't people out in the Boosh use them, anymore?

Sure, the one we bought 37 years ago, still works, but I'd like a Newer, Nicer one.

Thanks if you know a place.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I bought one at Sports Authority a couple of years ago.

Coleman quality has gone down hill. The "newer" ones are not going to be as good as the one you've had for 30+ years, as long as you take care of it.

Haven't seen any gas powered versions on the shelf in years. Do they still make them? Seeing as how gas is so evil for the environment and dangerous for people to use an all...
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I still have one of the old Coleman stoves (white gas type), but in reality it's a pain in the neck having to buy a gallon can of white gas to use some and store the rest. I have been using a 2-burner Coleman stove that has a magneto started, and it works very well. A bottle of propane goes a long way, and does not cost too much. It does not work well when the temperature drops below zero. But for average use nothing beats propane. It lights and heats fast.

I have other stoves too. For example, I have a MSR Dragonfly. This one uses gasoline, or diesel fuel, or kerosene. It's a great stove, and costs almost three times as much as a Coleman 2-burner propane stove, but I seldom use it. It's good if you are into backpacking and such where room is at a premium. I just don't like having to carry a tank of smelling fuel with me, having to pump the thing every now and then, and finally having to heat the generator. If windy out, one must use the aluminum shield that comes with the stove, so the pot or pan on top of it be better be small enough to fit inside. I have no idea why MSR doesn't build a heavy duty collapsible shield for it.

Gas burns hotter than propane.

I think it's easier to pack around, and the cans are refillable, and easier to do.

I looked at Sports Authority.

They still make'm. I guess the trick is to find where they sell'em.

I keep a small metal can of gas in the stove, for refilling, so I don't hafta carry a gallon can with me.

I want a new one for at home for emergency use.

Still Lookin
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default Coleman stoves

Coleman stoves could be purchased in Anchorage at Sportsmans Warehouse. But with their current level of inventory, who knows. Also, if you can obtain access, Elmendorf AFB Base Exchange, has sold them for many years.

One of my outfitter friends regularly, routinely picks up "near new" Coleman Stoves at gargae sales for $10.00 each. As for me, I do not do garage sales..

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Gas burns hotter than propane.

I think it's easier to pack around, and the cans are refillable, and easier to do.

I looked at Sports Authority.

They still make'm. I guess the trick is to find where they sell'em.

I keep a small metal can of gas in the stove, for refilling, so I don't hafta carry a gallon can with me.

I want a new one for at home for emergency use.

Still Lookin
    Smitty of the North
    Gas burning hotter may be true, but the problem is that the new propane stoves are designed to shield the flame from wind, and the higher pressure is directed upwards, which in turn allows the heat to rise instead of disperse.

I try these stoves side by side outdoors (I did that this Friday near Summit Lake). I had to use the thin aluminum shield included with the MSR stove, and then had to crank it way up in order for it to keep-up with the propane stove.

I have a very old white gas 502 Coleman stove (one burner), and it has the same problem (wind blowing across the bowl where the gas burns), which in turn slows down the heating time to a crawl. I just take a piece of aluminum foil and wrap it loosely around the stove, and that speeds things up. The last time I used a newer gas Coleman stove was at Chitina, right at O'Brien Creek. I lit the thing when it was real hot in the middle of the day, and it caught on fire. The whole top was on flames, and the flame was moving down. I grabbed a stick, and turn it upside-down in the sand, and then pushed it down. The flames went out, and my heart was pounding. I wrote a safety warning later to Coleman, and send it to them along the stove. I received a check for the amount I had paid for it at the store. Then the same thing happened to a friend of mine, so we learned pretty fast to light the stove carefully when it's hot outside

This has never happened to my old 502 stove, but like I said before, these old stoves take their time heating things up. Mine is still in excellent shape, except that a little of the green paint near the bottom has sort of fell off.

I picked up another 425 or 426 at Sports Authority last year. I'm a sucker for those stoves. The jug of fuel comes in handy for "fire assistance" when it's raining and windy.

I don't like the propane thingies. I took my old 425 out camping for 4 or 5 days last week. It was still primed from the last use. I turned the knob, lit it, then pointed the little brass thingy down after it got hot.

It made some excellent fish and chips

If I see one out, I'll post back.

I love those old stoves. I haven't even opened the box on the new one yet.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

There are also a few on Craigslist
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Here is the 502 (at least that's the number on the side of the stove, just between the controls and the burner):

It has a little rust on the stainless shield around the burner, but the rust doesn't go through the shield. It looks wet because I had to wipe it off with a wet rag to take the photos. It was full of dust from the garage:

This stove is around 30 years old, I imagine. You can see some of the paint that has chipped around the base. The pump is still lubricated, and I pressurized the stove to hear how it sounds. It pressurizes just fine, and I could hear the hissing sound coming out the burner after opening the fuel valves.

Again, I have no arguments with anybody here. regardless of how good this stove may be, it doesn't compare to a modern propane stove in relation to heat output. The only thing over new stoves is its reliability, and also that you could probably step on it without crushing it. It just plain works, and won't let you down...that's for sure.

I forgot to mention that I also have a couple of 1-burner propane stoves. These are very compact, and screw on propane bottles. I place one along a bottle of propane on my ATV, and another stays in the tent. The 2-burner one I keep in the made-up kitchen area in the middle of the campsite, connected to a small propane tank. A friend of mine bought a 1-burner one at E-Bay, and this one has a igniter on the side, but the ones I have don't. Used to have a 425, but sold it about ten years ago.

http://www.rei.com/product/671668

If you can't find it at the local REI, (which I believe you can) you can order it online and have it shipped to the Anchorage store for free.

Thanks, asrjb25:

That's not the one I lookin for. I want the 425 Model. (Green Two Burner)

I will probably end up ordering OnLine. I just found it hard to believe that they're not readily available in the Greatland. OR, at Cabelas.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks, asrjb25:

I will probably end up ordering OnLine. I just found it hard to believe that they're not readily available in the Greatland. OR, at Cabelas.

Smitty of the North
    Seems like the best thing to do would be to go this route...

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem...ategoryID=2020

I saw a green two burner liquid gas Coleman Stove at Sports Authority here in Fairbanks a few days ago. I'm not sure of the model number though. It might be worth a phone call to them.

Thanks, asrjb25:

Smitty of the North

Default Garage Sales

Smitty-

Check the garage sales like previously mentioned. I've picked up several of them for $5 or $10 each in good working order.

I've been using them for around 50 yrs. for cooking, melting lead, and blueing guns etc. They are one of the great thing in life that just keeps on working without needing to be changed.

I even got a new generator for a $1 at the Army Navy tent sale a couple of weeks ago.

And the lamps are great too where you need the heat also.

Thanks, asrjb25:

Smitty of the North
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

a 425 yes good stoves, I have 2 the first is 30 years old I don't think I've ever done anything to it exept cook. And the best thing most didn't know I've ran unleaded in them for along time the heck with the spendy colman fuel,
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default I use em

I have been using them for like .... ever .... also.

They have them here in Ketchikan at Tongass Dock store. If you don't find one up there they could put one in the mail for you.

They are still popular in Canada and when I drive around to Hyder I shop in Terrace, BC. They have them at the Canadian Tire and now the Walmart over there. Sometimes for a good price.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey i thnk i seen them in frontiers. in FBK... if not there.. then Sentry in NoPo...

if not i have an almost new one i could trade a guy...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
    Seems like the best thing to do would be to go this route...

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem...ategoryID=2020
    Yeah, that looks good to me.

Also, might call SA in Fogbanks. Thanks Snyd.

Thanks Everbody.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast