Thread: Pull Pal winch anchor

Default Pull Pal winch anchor

These any good for anchor point in the middle of a river channel ?

It seems that getting stuck often involves being in the middle of a wide river where it is a long and possibly dangerous wade to a log or land.

Really need something that can be set within 150 feet or so of the boat so you can rig a 3:1 with 600 ft spool of line and have the anchor far enough away to account for some rope stretch and safety if the anchor pulls out......

Typical anchors (danforth, bruce, various river anchors, etc... usually do not dig deep enough when pulled to provide massive anchor resistance for winching unless you dig a hole and bury them. Digging a hole in a river deep enough to bury an anchor (even with only six inches of water in the river) is a difficult exercise at best, and probably not possible in most situations.

Anybody actually use a "Pull Pal" in a river bed with flowing water ?

Is the RW11000 big enough ?

Anybody got a used one they want to sell (all though why would you sell it if they work good) ?

http://www.pullpal.com/

The weight is too much for me. 36 pounds of something else would have to stay behind.

There is some kind of anchor you pound in the ground with a bar as it is pulled it opens up like a T. (you get the bar back but can't remove the anchor so they are a one time use) I don't remember what they are called but have seen them work. Does anyone remember what they are called?

Default duckbill

Quote Originally Posted by tmmcampbell View Post
    There is some kind of anchor you pound in the ground with a bar as it is pulled it opens up like a T. (you get the bar back but can't remove the anchor so they are a one time use) I don't remember what they are called but have seen them work. Does anyone remember what they are called?
    They are called duckbills, they are pretty small, and have to go deep especially in saturated soils such as a river bed, the pounding bar is often difficult to remove from the duckbill if a lot of pounding is required to get them deep enough to hold anything. Several would be required (spread a few feet apart from eachother) to give a solid anchor able to withstand 1,000+ pounds of pulling force ..........Anybody actually use these in a river boat recovery in an active river channel (i.e. under water) ??? You don't hear of the 4x4 crowd using them......

Have used a duckbill with good success, altho once used it gets abandonded. I pounded it into the ground on the river bank, once started it pulls itself deeper. I always carry two or three, have only used it once. It is light, easy to stow and cheap enuf so as to not worry about leaving it.

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post
    Have used a duckbill with good success, altho once used it gets abandonded. I pounded it into the ground on the river bank, once started it pulls itself deeper. I always carry two or three, have only used it once. It is light, easy to stow and cheap enuf so as to not worry about leaving it.
    Where do you find a duckbill up here?

Default duck bill

Alaska rubber and rigging has them in FBX