Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bugs in my freezer

Default Bugs in my freezer

I finally got to set some gear for shrimp this year. Made 4 3 hour sets, had to catch up on some sleep after 24 hours pf gillnetting, ended up with aprox 35lbs of tails. I've mentioned before about freezing the tails in water to make shrimp bricks that fit nicely in the freezer so here's a few pic's of the containers i use for a mold to make the bricks. After frozen solid i run the container under water to losen/remove ithe brick and then wrap the brick in saran wrap and build my shrimp wall in the freezer. works great and no freezer burnt tails.

About a pound of tails fit in each container
    SSC_0322.JPG

container shrimp in freezer.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I finally got to set some gear for shrimp this year. Made 4 3 hour sets, had to catch up on some sleep after 24 hours pf gillnetting, ended up with aprox 35lbs of tails. I've mentioned before about freezing the tails in water to make shrimp bricks that fit nicely in the freezer so here's a few pic's of the containers i use for a mold to make the bricks. After frozen solid i run the container under water to losen/remove ithe brick and then wrap the brick in saran wrap and build my shrimp wall in the freezer. works great and no freezer burnt tails.

About a pound of tails fit in each container
    SSC_0322.JPG

container shrimp in freezer.JPG
    Looks good, Steve. Where exactly do you live? I will bring the butter and garlic!

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Steve:

Is there a reason you don't fully cover the tails with water in the container?

Do you have any freezer burn on the exposed top tails?

Thanks
    kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Steve:

Is there a reason you don't fully cover the tails with water in the container?

Do you have any freezer burn on the exposed top tails?

Thanks
    kingfisherktn
    No reason but i just didn't fill them up to the top guessmy only reason could be that water expands a bit when frozen so that way i don't get a spill over in the freezer. Yes sometimes a bit of the tail burns but who eats the shells??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Looks good, Steve. Where exactly do you live? I will bring the butter and garlic!

Pete
    I should come to your place with all the shrimp you catch according to some of the pics you posted !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

No reason but i just didn't fill them up to the top guessmy only reason could be that water expands a bit when frozen so that way i don't get a spill over in the freezer. Yes sometimes a bit of the tail burns but who eats the shells??
    Thanks.
    kingfisherktn

Smile Steve has the best shrimpn place....

Your soaks are always better then mine, I nearly soaked the coating off my traps this year, three trips, 700 US in boat gas, and got around 30 lbs of tails total. Apparently I need to keep searching for the right spot spot.

Default Potbuilders Pots

I did buy a couple of Steves folding pots to try this weekend.
    Hopefully I can get my freezer to look like his

Oh and Steve.....
    You were right the setnet site in Main we were talking about is Michael B's and they are off those shallow rocks.

I was wrong!!

I admit it.

LOl

Will let you know about the pots Friday night.

THanks for the pics--great info! I'm new to harvesting shrimp and have a couple of questions. You say you did 4 three hour soaks. How many pots did you soak, and approx how many shrimp per pot? I just returned from a week in PWS and had a two pots on one line setup. My soaks were generally 6 hours or more--depending on what else we were up to that day! I was in Port Wells near Harrison Lagoon soaking at between 400 and 500 feet, baited with salmon bellies and herring. My best pulls were 20 - 30 shrimp total for both pots combined, my worst as few as 4. Should I be expecting more from my pulls? I know there are LOTS of variables, but I just wondered if you can shed any light on my technique based on this much info...

THANKS!

Default shrimp crack

I don't think that Steve uses cutbait for bait - he uses his pellets.

Talking That's a Fact

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    JACK! Shrimp Crack is the bomb in shrimp harvesting.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Looks good!

I was very fortunate to borrow a friends pot puller and pots this past long weekend, we took a 4 day trip down Port Nellie Juan. I ended up with 12-24 hour soaks and each pull yielded about 1 gallon of tails. Thanks to Steves tip on steep and deep, I was trying to drop right at the 100 fathom line but you never know exactly where they'll drift to.

We ate a whole gallon of tails on the beach, best 4th of July ever!

I tried vacuum packing the tails, but they just puncture the bags. I'll have to freeze them in bricks, I'll also have to catch more as there aren't nearly enough.

We headed north toward Valdez over the 4th, about 50 miles. Took a couple of soaks to get dialed in but eventually were pulling 4 to 5 gallons of whole shrimp per pull with 4 of Steve’s pots using shrimp crack.
    That was the good part; bad part is my back is shot from hand pulling the pots over the side; a disadvantage to using a buoy puller.
    Glad you finally pulled some bugs over the rail Steve.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    We headed north toward Valdez over the 4th, about 50 miles. Took a couple of soaks to get dialed in but eventually were pulling 4 to 5 gallons of whole shrimp per pull with 4 of Steve’s pots using shrimp crack.
    That was the good part; bad part is my back is shot from hand pulling the pots over the side; a disadvantage to using a buoy puller.
    Glad you finally pulled some bugs over the rail Steve.
    I know where you can get a good deal on a pot hauler my friend Sounds like you were on a good knuckle of em' Jay, keep up the good work !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by akpfeiff View Post
    THanks for the pics--great info! I'm new to harvesting shrimp and have a couple of questions. You say you did 4 three hour soaks. How many pots did you soak, and approx how many shrimp per pot? I just returned from a week in PWS and had a two pots on one line setup. My soaks were generally 6 hours or more--depending on what else we were up to that day! I was in Port Wells near Harrison Lagoon soaking at between 400 and 500 feet, baited with salmon bellies and herring. My best pulls were 20 - 30 shrimp total for both pots combined, my worst as few as 4. Should I be expecting more from my pulls? I know there are LOTS of variables, but I just wondered if you can shed any light on my technique based on this much info...

THANKS!
    I fish 5 pots on one line, don't count them just shake'em out of the pot into a 100lb fish tote with water in it for them to puke up the crack they have eaten. One other thing in all of the sets i didn't have one flea on the deck or in the bait jugs, i'm starting to think when your on good shrimp bottom they just ain't there or else maybe the shrimp are eating them??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Quit use'in bait years ago all i use is the pellets.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I fish 5 pots on one line, don't count them just shake'em out of the pot into a 100lb fish tote with water in it for them to puke up the crack they have eaten. One other thing in all of the sets i didn't have one flea on the deck or in the bait jugs, i'm starting to think when your on good shrimp bottom they just ain't there or else maybe the shrimp are eating them??
    Thanks for the info. I was definitely pulling up LOTS of sea lice with my sets. I'll have to try some of your pellets--wish I could get 'em by this weekend. I'm heading out on the North Gulf coast and will try a set or two down by Taroka Arm to see how it works there. Not expecting the success I had in the Sound, according to what I've heard, but might as well try a soak or two! I'm a hand puller and NO WAY could I put out five pots on one line!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Looks good!

I tried vacuum packing the tails, but they just puncture the bags.

Switched to vacuum sealing two years ago from the water method with great results. Go by Ak Butcher Supply and get styrofoam trays and bone guard wrap and you will be good to go. Can post pictures here in a bit as the freezer is currently stuffed with the latest batch ready for packaging after a few cups of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle Builder View Post
    Switched to vacuum sealing two years ago from the water method with great results. Go by Ak Butcher Supply and get styrofoam trays and bone guard wrap and you will be good to go. Can post pictures here in a bit as the freezer is currently stuffed with the latest batch ready for packaging after a few cups of coffee.
    Do you find the preservation of the shrimp in vacuum packs is better than with the water method?

Default If you are getting lots of Sand Fleas

Then you have set on soft bottom/mud area. Shrimp like hard bottoms with lots of rocks that are steep and deep.

-TJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast