Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WalMart Camping

Question WalMart Camping

When traveling around the country I see a lot of folks camping in the WalMart lots. Looks like a pretty convienent/cheap spot to get away to. Anybody done it?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

A guy I work with sold his house and bought a huge motorhome and traveled the L-48 for a little over a year. He said he generally had no problem whatsoever camping at Wal-Mart....even stayed at one like 10 days or something like that....but felt guilty and left after a while.

I've seen 'em parked there with the awning out, lawn chairs and a card table setup...they even had the little square of astro turf rolled out...lol....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Walmart is one of the few that welcomes campers to stay in their parking lots.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Default One more reason...

NOT to go to Wally World.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hehe.... i bet if i tried camping out of the back of a Pinto. they would have a thing or two to say.

I always wondered about that.... WHY would you want to?????????????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    WHY would you want to?????????????
    Because its FREE

Default trivia only

as the wife used to work at wally world the one in Eagle River is the only one that does not welcome camping in the parking lot but all the rest around the country do with out a question

When traveling through Anchorage, I've done it once. It was free and saved me finding an RV spot to pitch the tent due to the trailer I was towing. Not something I want to repeat, but it works in a pinch.

I think while traveling it is a great idea. But to set up camp there as a camping trip would be stupid.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

From what I've seen most people that stay in Wal-Mart parking lots are ones that are just passing through and need a place to stay for the night and don't want to mess around with locating an RV park, paying etc. I don't know if I'd like to do it long term but we did it a couple times when we ran into Wal-Marts driving up here from Washington State.

I did notice that Eagle River does not allow it. Apparently RV parks kick up quite a bit of fuss over Wal-Mart allowing people to camp in their parking lots and have tried in some places to make it illegal. Perhaps they succeeded there?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLeiLannei View Post
    I did notice that Eagle River does not allow it. Apparently RV parks kick up quite a bit of fuss over Wal-Mart allowing people to camp in their parking lots and have tried in some places to make it illegal. Perhaps they succeeded there?
    No, I don't think so. The neighborly folks living in Eaglewood Subdivision have been a thorn in WalMarts side, ever since the Guys in Arkansas came up and took a looksee at the dirtpile that was there. The same folks shop there every day now, but they still complain about everything that goes on with WalMart.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    No, I don't think so. The neighborly folks living in Eaglewood Subdivision have been a thorn in WalMarts side, ever since the Guys in Arkansas came up and took a looksee at the dirtpile that was there. The same folks shop there every day now, but they still complain about everything that goes on with WalMart.
    Too funny. I have first hand experience with this. Great people there....but know of some that do exactly as you say. I didn't know that the ER Wal Mart wasn't allowing campers though. Too bad.

I'm not a Walmart fan. I hate the place. I'm glad that the ER Walmart doesn't allow camping. Personally, if someone is using a walmart parking lot as a campsite, I feel that they are looking at a motel on wheels instead of a tools to explore country.

I won't even drive in the parking lot, much less pitch a camp.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Not just walmart

Look at the parking lot at Fred Meyers in Soldotna. THere are more campers their than at the campgrounds in the area. I don't get it but if thats how they want to see AK by all means enjoy.

Klickman

Default Illegal

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    It is against the local zoning codes for the property owners to allow overnight camping as they are business districts thus camper parks aren't allowed. It typically is not enforced unless complaints are coming in about it.

I'm a huge WalMart fan. I think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. True American capitalism at work. They sell the same merchandise that Fred Meyers does but they don't try to rip you off on the price.

It's an Anchorage city ordinance that prevents camping in the parking lots. Personally I think it sucks. If the stores want to allow that it should be there business.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
    I'm a huge WalMart fan. I think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. True American capitalism at work. They sell the same merchandise that Fred Meyers does but they don't try to rip you off on the price.

It's an Anchorage city ordinance that prevents camping in the parking lots. Personally I think it sucks. If the stores want to allow that it should be there business.
    Sams Clubs, Churches, Schools, Hospitals, Malls (some) and Parking Lots allow it, so I am not inclined to believe the city is behind it totally. I only know where the opposition to it came from in Eagle River. Neighborhood Council.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

The Walmart close to the airport in Anchorage doesn't allow it either. They have signs on every light pole.

Talking Okay its got to stop!

Please for the sake of my sanity, lets stop calling living in a motorhome, in a paved parking lot, in suburbia, with a flush toilet, kitchen cabinets, electrical outlets, etc camping. Camping it is not. RVing it is. Big difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast