Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pics of new esquif cargo canoe

Default pics of new esquif cargo canoe

Here are a couple pics of the new esquif cargo canoe on its 1st trip.We pulled her over 10 beaver dams.

the wife having a bite in the rain

so far the cargo seems great,very shallow draft,just needs more H.P
    Last edited by hunt_ak; 07-03-2009 at 05:26.

Grit, looks like some neat water you guys were on. Reminds me of a spot in Cantwell that Alaska_Lanche and I played on as wee lads!

Grit,
    Thos pics were awsome! Keep em coming buddy! Looks like ur esquiff cargo found it's natural home. Not too hard of a boat to pull over log jams and beaver dams. Grit, you'll prob. never want to get rid of that canoe....that's for sure. That lil merc 4hp is actually a great motor for little creeks and two person fishing trips. You could prob. make due with that lil motor for quite some time. I think that royalex cargo canoe is a perfect lil beast for moose hunting, and one of the sharpest looking canoes too. Continue keeping us updated with all your great pics and stories.

Hey hope you dont mind but I linked the pics so they would show up in your post...

Click the button and paste the links that you had there originally and viola!

Nice---wondering where you purchased.

I bought it at up north canoe in whitehorse.

hi there,

just wondering if that's a short or long shaft merc on there... what would you suggest?

hi there,

is that a short or long shaft? what would you suggest?

Hey Grit,

Great place for the Cargo to play. Mainer is right, I have a short shaft 3.3 hp Merc on my Cargo and it works great until I get into a strong head wind or current. I beefed mine up kinda following Pipercub's ideas to prevent "oil canning" with my Short shaft 9.9 Merc at full throttle. The Cargo flies with the 9.9 and about 600 lbs on board, but the 3.3 will do just about anything under reasonable conditions. I also put a grab bar and drain plug in mine to make it a little easier to wash out when you get home. Here's a shot of the grab bar which makes it a lot easier to stand and weight shift stear. The bar folds down if I want to haul it on my truck rack. Good luck with the Cargo....you'll love it!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Default Driving Position

Hi,

For someone who is not going to have a grab bar such as yours, what is the ideal driving position (rear seat, or, one ahead with a tiller extension)?

if you have any other advice, please shoot!

thanks,
    mike

Have you had a chance to really load her up yet?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Mike,

I took out the back seat and moved my 3rd seat back to a position where I could easily steer with the tiller when I was facing forward on the seat and it would not interfer withmy clamp on seat or the self inflating seat I use. That gives me a lot more cargo room while I was stiffening the bottom, I put in a 1 1/2" high box attached to the bottom with fiberglass and epoxy resin to hold my fuel tanks and keep them from sliding around in bumpy water. This shot from the rear with the camera over the stern may give you a better idea of what I did with the seats.

This one shows the front seat and a brace I put in behind the seat to reduce some of the twisting of the hull.

This is the 3rd seat position next to the yoke which I will never use anyway. The ALum bracing also reduces twisting which was caused by "oil canning" of the bottom when I ran my 9.9hp Merc on 3/4 or greater throttle.

Hope that helps.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Piper and Lowrider,

Did you guys successfully fix the oil canning? I saw the pictures of both the canoes with Kevlar epoxied to the inside of the hull. Did it actually work out ok? After spending over $2000 on the canoe, I'm not sure I want to put anymore money into it.

Mainer, there is no more oil canning...combined with the extra thwarts...there is no twisting....I'm ready for the small surface drive....pm me your email and I'll send some pictures...I can't get them to load off the Ipad here...

Mainer,

I have not had mine out since I finished it becasue of travel and holidays but I'm sure it will not Oil Can again with the way I did it. I put in more than Piper did and glassed in a little box for my fuel cans as well. Not counting time, I don't think I have more than $300 in the whole project and it made it into a much more usable boat...at least from my standpoint. I did use scrap I had laying around the shop but if you had to buy the stuff it might add $30-$50 more for the thwarts and bracing. I also coated the Alum with Duracoat in colors that are close to the camo pattern in the boat and sprayed the gunnels which were shinny since I want to be able to duck hunt from it.

Piper,

I still have the pictures you sent me if you want me to post them for you.

Lowrider, I've got quite a few pics that I didn't send you... Also it has been long enough that I don't remember which ones I did send you....

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Mainer, there is no more oil canning...combined with the extra thwarts...there is no twisting....I'm ready for the small surface drive....pm me your email and I'll send some pictures...I can't get them to load off the Ipad here...
    That's great to hear guys. Piper, learn from my mistake, go with a smaller surface drive. If yah don't believe me, ask boudarc! 12 horse copperhead+esquif cargo was not a good combo. I'll have an 18 horse copperhead, and a 6.5 copperhead up here soon. I'll test the 6.5 on my esquif as I think this will be a winning combo. When I say 6.5 hp. copperhead, it will be equal to or better than a 9.9 horse traditional outboard (more hole shot and torque).

Lowrider,
    I need some duracoat on my savage model 99 featherweight after it's rebored to 358 winchester. Can you do this?

Mainer,

You bet....I can do that!

I also bought a horizontal shaft Chinese knock-off of a Honda 6.5 HP that I am thinking about building a mud motor for the Cargo. I'm thinking a semi-long tail instead of the type you have. What do you think?

Piper,

If I can help, go ahead and email your pics that you want posted. Maybe we should go back to the thread we were using last Fall so we don't need to repeat the pics. Your call...if I can help let me know.

Hey Lowrider, I sent the pics to mainer. I don't know if anyone else needs the Esquif beef up mods....I can just email them my photo's if they do ( pm your email)

OK....I thought the world should see your ideas and handy work but if it is a trade secret, I understand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast