Thread: Nebesna Road/Trail

Question Nebesna Road/Trail

I am lloking for some information. Has anyone hunted moose off the Nebesna Road/Trail before? I have looked at Google Earth pictures and it looks really well maintained, but those pictures are not dated and someone might have some better information. It also looks as if some of the streams do not have have bridges. What is the ground like off of the road? Any information would be greatly apprecieated.

Thanks

Look up the Sportsmans Paradise Lodge. The owner is one heck of a nice guy and has hunted/ guided that area his entire life. I would HIGHLY recommend talking with him and maybe renting a cabin from him. He has several rental cabins on a remote lake that he can drive you to with his UTV/ 4wheelers for a very resonable price. That would be the way I would go for sure if I ever hunted that area. Bring a fishing rod too.

The Nabesna Rd. is well maintained. For the most part any stock 4x4, or high ground clearance vehicle can drive the entire 40 something miles of it without a problem. The stream crossings on the Nabesna Rd. were easy when I did it, but I'm sure things can change real quick if it's been raining a lot.

There are NO trails off of the Nabesna Road that are suitable for anything but a 4wheeler/ Argo/ UTV. Full sized rigs are not legally allowed off the main Nabesna Rd either. The 4wheeler trails on the N side of the road are much less swampy than those on the S side. You need a permit from the Park Service to ride a 4wheeler in the area.

Like everywhere else game used to be plentiful in that area, but because it is road accessable the area gets a lot of pressure during hunting season.

Good luck, and be safe. Post pictures when you get back!

Default Check with park service

Many of the trails there are now closed to non subsistence users. There are only a few that remain open. Nabesna road is usually good, but if it is rainy, the creek crossings can be "interesting"!

I haven't seen moose or caribou the three times I've been in there (Aug/Sept). Creeks wash over the road, but they were easy to cross with 4 wheel drive.

Tim

Default hunting the road

There will be many people driving up and down it. It gets hunted heavily by locals. I personally have been on it more times than I can remember and have NEVER seen a moose on it. I have seen few bous, but there is no open season on the road.

Here's the link to the park pages that cover hunting information (ATV permits, regulation downloads, etc.)

http://www.nps.gov/wrst/planyourvisit/hunting.htm

Have a safe and successful trip!

Been there twice in Sept. Rained/snowed a bit both times but didn't have a bit of trouble with the road. Didn't even need 4x4 to cross the creeks at the time. Also, I think the moose population is spread pretty thin in that area. I know there are some there, but it might take some time and effort to score on one. Be sure to read the regs very carefully too. The line between units 11 and 12 is partway down the road and the seasons are different for each.

Default road

Drove it this weekend. Excellent condition and the creek crossings were nothing. Could have driven all the way in a 2wd car. Then again its been dry.

Talking Thanks

Thank you to all that have replied. I apprecieate all of your input.

Default Suslota

We use to ride our 4-wheelers in 18 miles on the Suslota Creek trail. The Sierra Club shut it down. Just called the Slana Ranger station and they told me that you can hunt there if you are a Substance hunter, or untill the ground freezes.
    There where moose in there, but far and few between. Gets a bit of pressure from the local I believe. Don