Thread: yentna river levels

Default yentna river levels

howdy has anybody been up the yentna skwentna in the last day or so, and if so what the water levels like??? I was up last weekend and levels were down quite a little bit from whats normally there any response would be greatly appreciated..

thanks
    a river rat??

Default a lot higher than last weekend

I just got back from Johnson Creek and the water level from Thursday until Yesterday was a guess at 2' higher although lots of stuff floating in the river. when passing the Skwentna River the level looked normal / nothing to worry about. At the landing last night it was about 1 - 2 foot below the culvert. hope this helps and have a fun trip

Do you feel there are adequate resources (game/fruit) and passable travel for a year round homestead on Johnson creek about 8 miles up? Do you think the lodge at Lake creek would freight supplies up to the mouth of Johnson creek? What size boat/motor do you recommend that would be large enough for the Yentna and still small enough to traverse Johnson creek, or am I looking at needing two separate boats? What is the average depth up Johnson creek? Is it slow enough for canoe travel or is a motor going to be necessary? Is there alot of travel on that creek? Do you think the land travel in that area would be difficult on foot (lots of alder and low brush) or does it tend to be open? I appreciate your time, there seems to be very limited info regarding the upper Johnson creek area.

You are one ambitious individual. I think it would be in your best interest to visit the site you are thinking about. To my knowledge, there is NO boat traffic on Johnson Creek...not enough water.

Default Oh No not another Yupper,

Water up by Johnson get pretty skinny by mid August but it is navigable with Good Jet boat that is not to big. It is 2 hrs of river travel to get to Johnson to the Deshka Landing. The best way to homestead in the area would be to find the nearest area to land a beaver or Bring in everything in the winter. There are pretty good freighting trails in the spring.