Thread: Tips for gear prep

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Tips for gear prep

okay here is a thread for getting ready for the seasons.. we all have gear that sat a long cold season.. many of us have gear with last years mud still on it....

here is mine.

GUN Boots!

one of the favorite accessories for ATV hunters.is also one of the ones that need special consideration.

a few years ago. i pulled my rifle out and fired ONE shot and wen click on every follow up shot....

the smith told me my bolt was full of crap...

his first question he asked me was more of a statment...

YOU USE A KOPLIN GUN BOOT DON"T YOU...

think about it... all that NICE fuzzy stuff that is supposed to protected your investment....

is actually collecting dirt and grime hidden in the bottom. in the material and is quite filthy.

i take mine and turn it inside out and vacuum it all out. wash the material and get it ready for another season....

How long has it been since you cleaned your gun boot?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I clean my Rifle EVERY time I come home, and very often afeild.
    I make my kids do the same, or I help them get it done.

No gunboots, just a canvas cover.

I clean and store all my hunting gear as soon as it comes home, and is ready for the next day, month or season. I find the damage is worse and the repairs more expensive if I dont take care of it as I go.

No mould, mildue, rust or frayed ropes.

Generally, Im getting summer stuff up to snuff all winter, and Winter gear is best prepped in summer, so I guess I'm always getting ready.

No matter where I go, a clean rifle and a sharp knife are with me.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Great tip, That is something I never thought to clean after a trip!

LOL! Maby I elaborated too much...
    Vince has the Dust trap figured out and I went further with the cleaning idea....
    But TRULY, its a shame how many people I know personaly that will put things off for "Later" and do alot damage.
    "Keeping it clean" is a great ideal that applies to keeping Bears outta camp to leaving the camping area as it was when you got there, to meat care to boats and airplanes..... as well as guns.

My second tip of the day: get a Zippo.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....