Thread: volvo penta diesel question

Default volvo penta diesel question

What are you guys/gals using for antifreeze on the diesel engines. Books says only Volvo, I've heard any type will work, others say only use green?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    What are you guys/gals using for antifreeze on the diesel engines. Books says only Volvo, I've heard any type will work, others say only use green?
    Been using wal mart green for years in my 41P. it has aprox 5000 hours on it and its still going strong. I drain the antifreeze each fall and use it to pickle the saltwater side of the engine and put new in the freshwater side.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

thanks steve, bought the peak green extended life today. good call on the recycle, i'll do the same this year
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Call your Volvo dealer. I don't buy Volvo fluids as they are practically unavailable but I do buy fluids that meet Volvo specs. I am no expert, but my understanding is my engine is a " wet sleave motor" that requires special additives that do not exist in your run of the mill automotive antifreeze. These additives primarily prevent erosion/corrosion. You can supplement automotive antifreeze with an additive or buy antifreeze with it already mixed in (ie "Fleet Charge"). Most Semi trucks diesel engines also have wet sleaves and require the same type of additives. Check with you local semi tractor parts house and call your favorite Volvo/Penta dealer for their reccomendation. Otherwise you may be sorry later. Hope that helps.

Default HD coolant

I recommend a heavy-duty diesel engine coolant with an additive package included in the product. The problem with grocery-store automotive style coolant is that is uses high levels of silica. The silica wil wear out your jacket water pump seals and can cause "green slime" or jelling to occur. Its also called silica dropout. The silica is for aluminum corrosion protection and in a gas engine, it works fine. Now with diesels, its a whole different story. Wet liner or not, high peak cylinder pressures create a very interesting dynamic with the engine block creating conditions where cavitation will happen. Your engine needs a molyedenium and nitrate based additive package to prevent cavitation corrosion. It also needs a boron PH buffer to maintain a reserve alkanlinity of 8-10.5. All these things can be measured and adjusted with a coolant test kit. You can purchase coolant with the additives ready to go or you can purchase plain coolant and add everything yourself, but that is a hastle. There are two main additive formulas on the market. One is from Penray and one is from Nalcool. Every coolant additive on the market comes from one of these two companys and then branded. When I'm working on a customer's boat, I either use Napa HD coolant and add their branded coolant additive following their instructions and using their test kit, Or if available, I prefer to use Caterpillar HD coolant which already has the additive package installed and ready to pour. Then I test the coolant with a Caterpillar test kit every oil change. Just remember to stick with one chemistry and don't mix different products.

Of course, we can talk about the organic acid technology (OAT) based long life coolants and the various hybrid mixtures available (HOAT) but for a boat diesel, I still think HD coolant is the way to go because I like to keep it simple. There is still controversy regarding the effect of OAT coolant on certain gasket materials.

Default hey steve

What do you mean by pickle the salt water side? I find your comments to be very helpful and informable. thanks for sharing...D

Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    What do you mean by pickle the salt water side? I find your comments to be very helpful and informable. thanks for sharing...D
    I run the old antifreeze through the saltwater side of the cooling system for the winter layup and "pickle" is just a old term i use.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I run the old antifreeze through the saltwater side of the cooling system for the winter layup and "pickle" is just a old term i use.

So then what happens in the spring time, do you dump a couple of gallons of antifreeze in the harbor when you start up? There are other winterization fluids that are safe to put in the environment, but I don't think that includes old antifreeze.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    So then what happens in the spring time, do you dump a couple of gallons of antifreeze in the harbor when you start up? There are other winterization fluids that are safe to put in the environment, but I don't think that includes old antifreeze.

Jim
    Naw i start the engine for a few seconds on the side of the road on my way to whittier and dump it there
    Just kidding, i start the engine at my place and catch the antifreeze in a bucket to get rid of properly.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692