Thread: Tackle Prices

Question Tackle Prices

Which is better? WalMart or Freddies?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

B&J's is better
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default For Prices?

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    B&J's is better
    I can't imagine how they could compete with the box stores. Go figure.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Arrow WallyMart

For everyday low prices, I shop at Walmart. However, I've got some great deals at Fred's when sale items are paired with a 10% or 15% off coupon from the weekly circular ad.

Both stores put a ton of outdoor gear on clearance after the first of the year. That's when I really stock up.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default mountainview sports

For last minute trolling/jigging gear I like Mountain view sports, other wise I order on line.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Default Niether!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    Which is better? WalMart or Freddies?
    Go to Trustworthy Hardware... BJ Commercial, then Mt View... Avoid Kenai Cache if at all possible.

Couldn't agree more, Tynmon. Trustworthy is by far the best fishing gear store in AK, for both price and selection. They even beat WalMart prices on vacum pack bags.

Default One step further...

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2fish View Post
    Couldn't agree more, Tynmon. Trustworthy is by far the best fishing gear store in AK, for both price and selection. They even beat WalMart prices on vacum pack bags.

Trustworthy has better prices then any store in the Pacific Northwest too.

Where is Trustworthy located?

Quote Originally Posted by Psylas View Post
    Where is Trustworthy located?
    Soldotna. By far the best store in Alaska.

Default pricing

Depends on what lure you are buying. Look for loss leaders. Often one popular lure will be sold at a great price, even below cost to either wallys or freds. Vibraxes are a great example. Then everything else will be marked at full margins, or higher. But since Vibraxes are so cheap, you will be convinced that you're getting a great deal on everything. On your original question, Wally's or Fred's, there will be some things cheaper at one, and cheaper at the other. It just depends what you're buying. The small shops often have comparable or lower prices on a lot of items, but high profile items are more expensive, as they cannot take a loss on the items like the big boxes can.

Default Exception of the small shops is Trustworthy...

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Depends on what lure you are buying. Look for loss leaders. Often one popular lure will be sold at a great price, even below cost to either wallys or freds. Vibraxes are a great example. Then everything else will be marked at full margins, or higher. But since Vibraxes are so cheap, you will be convinced that you're getting a great deal on everything. On your original question, Wally's or Fred's, there will be some things cheaper at one, and cheaper at the other. It just depends what you're buying. The small shops often have comparable or lower prices on a lot of items, but high profile items are more expensive, as they cannot take a loss on the items like the big boxes can.

Very rarely will you find anything at Trustworthy that is less expensive anywhere else... If fact often reels and rods are 10-50% lower in price then you can find anywhere else...

Default Trustworthy

I stop everytime I go through if they are open. Their specials are usually outstanding, and I've seen reels substantially cheaper there than the lower 48 and that was the everyday price. Its crazy that Walmart is NOT competitively priced on outdoor gear.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Macks in Kodiak

If your in Kodiak city, Macks will have better prices for tackle, Kodiak Marine supply will have better prices for foul weather gear like Grundens than any stores in Anchorage.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I'm proud to say I've never spent $1 at Wal Mart. I'd like to see them all wiped off the planet, but thats another story...

Its good to hear that local businesses are able to provide a better value on fishing and foul weather gear. I'm sure the service in these stores is much better too. I'm definitely checking out Trustworthy next time I'm in Soldotna. I heard it was good, but better than US prices? I'm sold.

Default Trustworthy

Again, Trustworthy has been the best. Living in Soldotna gives us an unfair advantage, but I know they will ship. They know what people are looking for and stock lots of it. I find it lucky when I make it out of Trustworthy for less than $100. I buy stuff I already have 5 of.