Thread: Knight Island Camping

Question Knight Island Camping

Thinking about trying for some lings and whatever on the North Side of Knight. Looks kinda rocky there. Is Herring Bay suitable for anchoring and beaching? I'm a rookie in this area so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Doug
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

There arent many good places to anchor around Knight island. You can anchor in Herring and lower Herring bay but they are not good if the weather is bad. The better anchorage is the "hole" in Disc island. The best place to anchor is in Cabin Bay on Naked island, there is even a mooring bouy if you dont want to drop your hook.

Default I've heard about the hole on Disc

Quote Originally Posted by LastSplash View Post
    There arent many good places to anchor around Knight island. You can anchor in Herring and lower Herring bay but they are not good if the weather is bad. The better anchorage is the "hole" in Disc island. The best place to anchor is in Cabin Bay on Naked island, there is even a mooring bouy if you dont want to drop your hook.

What kind of beaches?
    how to act in public

stimpy

The best camping beach I know of on Knight Island is Hogan Bay (it's a darned good anchorage for a small boat, too), but it isn't at the north end of the island. It's at the southeast side, and you know what that means; you've got to expose yourself to the side open to the Sound.

It has a nice, high, sandy camping spot. Pretty much everyplace else on the island, you're going to be sleeping on rocks.

Hole up in Disk Island. I would advise against beaching, but the lagoon is so protected I just use a 10# mushroom anchor. Bring the boat to shore, tie 25' to the mushroom anchor from the boat, then another 100' or so to shore. When you have everything and everyone off the boat, just push it off from shore and when it's out in deeper water give the rope a tug to drop the anchor and tie the end to a tree. When it's time to get the boat back, just reel it in.

Just be aware that most ground in PWS is spongy and damp, so it can be a challenge to find a good site to set up a tent.

Talking In Hopes

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Just be aware that most ground in PWS is spongy and damp, so it can be a challenge to find a good site to set up a tent.
    With this weather, we get some hard, dry ground.
    how to act in public

We were out in Deep Water bay for the past 4 days, and yes this weather really dried the vegitation. We hiked out a couple miles and the vegitation was crunching under our feet as it was so dry.

And yes, those rocks hold lings