Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall Brown Bear Hunt - Bullet Recommendation

Default Fall Brown Bear Hunt - Bullet Recommendation

I will be hunting for the first time in Alaska for brown bear in September. I plan to bring my trusty .300 Weatherby mag which I have used regularly for the past 12 years.

Question is what bullet weight and type I should use. I have always used 165 or 180 grain Nosler Partitions or Barnes X and TSX bullets which both shoot well in the rifle.

Is the 180 gr. bullet weight adequate or should I be trying 200 gr. Barnes TSX, Partitions, etc. or 220 gr. Barnes or Hornady Round nose for brown bears? My Weatherby Mark V has the 24" #1 barrel with I believe a 1:10 twist.

Many may advise that the .300 is too small but I would perfer to use this gun as I am very comfortable shooting the gun with hundreds of rounds thru it and can shoot it well.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

180 TSX are probably fine, but I think I'd probably give the 200 TSX the nod. A little more weight/penetration. If the 200 TSX don't shoot well and you want a 200 you might also try A Frames.

Brett

My go to gun is a 300 wby. use the 180 or 200 barnes. The 300WBy works great in Ak.

Smile go big....

That big Weatherby case begs for a stout 200 grain bullet and a big brown bear deserves the best bullet we can find. So, lets use bullets that are proven performers. Swift A Frame, Barnes X or Nosler Partition, they all have a good reputation. Post a pic and good hunting to you!

Thanks all. Factory ammo is available with 200 gr. nosler partitions and 180 gr. barnes X. Will see if I can get some rounds loaded with 200 barnes X and swift a frames and see how they shoot.

180 grain bullets shoot very well in 30 caliber magnum rounds. The 300 Weatherby with 180 grain Nosler partitions has accounted for a lot of brown bear kills, plus it remains flat shooting and you don't have to fiddle around re-sighting the rifle in for a bunch of different rounds.

Moose, bear, dall sheep, caribou, deer, Mt Goat, you name it and the 300 weatherby with 180 grains will whack 'em and stack 'em.

Tommy

What Tommy said but stuff an Accubond in there rather than a partition. The performance on bear flesh is identical but they tend to be easier to hit with for a couple of reasons.

When I shot the brown bear that's on my wall I used a 300 Wby with factory-loaded 180gr X bullets. I was not under-gunned. That's an honest field report.

I am leaning toward 180 gr. barnes tsx or the 200 gr. nosler partition which are both factory loads. Barnes have never let me down but the extra 20 gr. nosler might be the way to go. I like the solid copper bullets. No excuses. Will be shooting this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerguy View Post
    I am leaning toward 180 gr. barnes tsx or the 200 gr. nosler partition which are both factory loads. Barnes have never let me down but the extra 20 gr. nosler might be the way to go. I like the solid copper bullets. No excuses. Will be shooting this weekend.
    Either one is fine, if you're going with Chris he'll have his .416 Rigby if needed, so you have plenty good backup.

My choice was the 200 grain Partition. Unfortunately, I never got to try it out. I trust that load, though.

180 E-Tip...

Default Barnes

The 180 barnes will weigh more than the 200 nosler when it comes out the other side. No not magic just hella weight retention.

Going with the Barnes TSX 180 grain. My gun shoots the 180's well and they are available as a factory load from Weatherby and Federal premium. The Weatherby ammo seems a little hotter than the Federal premium ammo.

I am working on shooting one aimed and a second follow-up shot at 8" paper plates at 100, 150, and 200 yards using a rest, shooting sticks and off-hand. Want to get good at making the second shot count and plan to shoot at least twice even if the bear is down with the fist shot. My rifle holds 3+1 so I still have two available as follow -up to the first two shots.

Just 6 weeks to my first alaska brown bear hunt. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerguy View Post
    Going with the Barnes TSX 180 grain. My gun shoots the 180's well and they are available as a factory load from Weatherby and Federal premium. The Weatherby ammo seems a little hotter than the Federal premium ammo.

I am working on shooting one aimed and a second follow-up shot at 8" paper plates at 100, 150, and 200 yards using a rest, shooting sticks and off-hand. Want to get good at making the second shot count and plan to shoot at least twice even if the bear is down with the fist shot. My rifle holds 3+1 so I still have two available as follow -up to the first two shots.

Just 6 weeks to my first alaska brown bear hunt. Can't wait.
    Good plan, but don't stop till that gun is empty, then slam some more rounds in the mag. If by the time you are done jacking in more rounds and put your sights back on him he hasn't moved, THEN, its time to celebrate and let out your war cry.
    I'm excited for you!

Every Barnes TSX that I've seen come out of a brown bear look like they should be pictured in a magazine advertisement. Go with the TSX.

Shot a 9+ this last Apr with Chris! Used a 338 RUM 225 Barnes, hand loaded hot!! Good hit with first shot at 175 yards. I think I saw him bounce when off the ground!! I think I would have been as happy shooting my 300 win mag (with Barnes). We did some follow-up shots as he was throwing his head around. They went in about the size of my middle finger came out the size of my thumb but appeared to do some serious damage inside. Chris on the other had 416 went in the size of my thumb and came out the 1/2 the size of my fist and he shot pretty high on the guy so didn't have a lot of meat to flare the bullet. I don't think you can go wrong with the Barnes if you gun shoots it well.

can anybody give me some insight on their experiences with nosler's e-tip.

i will be shooting 180gr. e-tip at 3000 fps. will this be enough for a brown bear hunt?

thanks for your advice.

And here is a reason to take a good look around before you check out your kill.

http://WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/WATCH?V=LZNSL7-UDGC

Default Comparison of energy

Interesting comparison of bullet energy between .300 Weatherby magnum and .338 Winchester magnum from Federal website- Premium vital shock ammunition

.338 Winchester magnum versus .300 Weatherby magnum
    225 grain Barnes TSX versus 180 grain Barnes TSX

Energy
    Muzzle 3917 versus 3865

100 yards 3289 versus 3350

200 yards 2742 versus 2893

The higher velocity of the Weatherby equated to more energy delivered by the bullet at any distance greater than at the muzzle.

With weatherby factory ammo ( Barnes 180 TSX )the difference is even greater

Energy
    Muzzle 4197

100 yards 3642

200 yards 3150 - 400 ft-lbs. more than the .338 win mag at 200 yards.

The Weatherby factory ammo is definitely hotter than the Federal premium vital shock ammo. Definitely feels it when shooting.

The Weatherby factory ammo bullet energy is comparable to the Federal .375 H&H magnum energy values for Federal premium 260 grain ammunition which is

Energy
    Muzzle 4208

100 yards 3639

200 yards 3132

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast