Thread: Any recent Lake Cr. float reports?

Default Any recent Lake Cr. float reports?

Well, i've decided to change my trip down the Talachulitna to Lake Cr. due to low, low water conditions on the Tal. Have any forum members floated Lake Cr. recently? I would love to hear how your trip went and if you had any recommendations/advice/warnings/fish stories to share.
    I have been so focused on the Tal, I haven't done much research on Lake Cr., so I feel like i'm going in blind. Let me know what you know. Thanks in advance, abel6wt

Just started researching these two rivers so I am of little help. Plan to float one of them in the next year or so myself. I did see the dvds that the Duke Brothers made of the float trips on Lake Creek and the Tal. Great info there for anyone floating these rivers for the first time. Both dvds are on the forum store in the fishing section. I also was fortunate enough to get some info from Brian Richardson here on the forum. He is a wealth of knowledge on these and other rivers. Talk to Brian and you will feel like you have been there.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

abel6wt (or anyone else), did you end up floating Lake Creek? We are taking off Friday. The Alaska River Forcast Center Chelatna Lake gauge is not showing any data since Monday. It looked like the water has been pretty low, and I am wondering if I should shed a few pounds off my load. I am hoping the recent rains have helped out, but not so much where it messes with the fishing. Any info (especially advice on trout fishing) would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thumbs up Lake Creek 162

Just made 162nd decent of Lake Creek...

Great float again... 2 1/2 dayer...

Great water levels... not too low at all... perfect!

Good weather...

Special note with regards to the dumbest fish counting station design I've ever seen (particularly for rafts)...

This was not a fishing trip this week; however fewest Kings I've seen in 20 some years (few to none holding at confluence tribs)... Reds and Pinks pouring in mostly below Yenlo... Rainbows and Grayling typical (good)...

Very clean river and well managed (little to no garbage) camp conditions... Good show everyone so far... Only three parties on river --- two fully guided & one other party - good friends of mine.

I have a few ALASKA RAFT CONNECTION rental boaters headed out to Lake Creek coming up. All in all no issues & no problems for anybody headed that way...

Remember that the August trends face into some weather spikes... typically, two flood patterns that come up quickly and drop just the same.

Also 'Know' that you have three channels just above the confluence with the Yentna... 2 will put you into the Yentna - same place just bellow Lake Creek Lodge --- the other will put you into the Yentna a little above Lake Creek Lodge... All are doable.

Good float to all -
    Brian

162 times! I have put off this float for too long- tomorrow will be my first time on Lake Creek. I was expecting to see closer to 30 groups than 3, so that is great news. It's great to hear that the river is staying clean.

Thanks for the flow update; I will hold onto the beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    Just made 162nd decent of Lake Creek...

Great float again... 2 1/2 dayer...

Great water levels... not too low at all... perfect!

Good weather...

Special note with regards to the dumbest fish counting station design I've ever seen (particularly for rafts)...

This was not a fishing trip this week; however fewest Kings I've seen in 20 some years (few to none holding at confluence tribs)... Reds and Pinks pouring in mostly below Yenlo... Rainbows and Grayling typical (good)...

Very clean river and well managed (little to no garbage) camp conditions... Good show everyone so far... Only three parties on river --- two fully guided & one other party - good friends of mine.

I have a few ALASKA RAFT CONNECTION rental boaters headed out to Lake Creek coming up. All in all no issues & no problems for anybody headed that way...

Remember that the August trends face into some weather spikes... typically, two flood patterns that come up quickly and drop just the same.

Also 'Know' that you have three channels just above the confluence with the Yentna... 2 will put you into the Yentna - same place just bellow Lake Creek Lodge --- the other will put you into the Yentna a little above Lake Creek Lodge... All are doable.

Good float to all -
    Brian
    Wow, 162 times, How many years have you been on there? I know this thread is dead, but I had to ask.