Thread: Zodiac out of Whittier

Default Zodiac out of Whittier

Hello,
    I am just wondering if it is safe to launch a Zodiac out of Whittier. We just bought a used Zodiac and have been out of Homer but have never been out of Whittier before. Also, does anyone know of a good beach to camp on once we get out a ways?

I've taken a Zodiac out of Whittier several times into Passage Canal. Pigot point has a USFS cabin and is a popular spot for camping and fishing.

Have you ever been out to Esther passage?

How big is your Zodiak? Esther Passage should be no problem if weather is good. Just be careful Port Wells can get kinda nasty so be prepared to hide out if the weather turns.
    Dave

it is a fifteen footer

Default 20 hp tohatsu on 15.5 zodiak?

anyone know how a 20hp ss prop would do on a 15.5. zodiak? 2 adults and 2 kids, or 2 adults and full coolers possible to get on step?

Quote Originally Posted by zodiak_pilot View Post
    anyone know how a 20hp ss prop would do on a 15.5. zodiak? 2 adults and 2 kids, or 2 adults and full coolers possible to get on step?
    We used to run a 15.5 zodiak mk III with a johnson 25 back in the 80's. It would get two adults and two kids on step. We ran it all over the Kenai and around Seldovia without any problems. We up graded to a suzuki 40 hp after someone decided they needed the johnson more than we did. That 40 did a much better job. These were both 2 strokes. I cannot imagine what it would do with the max rating of 65 hp. I used a 14 foot achilles this spring with a 9.8 4 stroke tohatsu that would plane two adults no problem.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

If you aren't looking to head too far out, you could run to Squirrel Cove, which is on the south side of Passage, just west of Decision Point. There are a number of tent platforms there and a forest service cabin. The beaches are nothing special.

Default Zodiac in Whittier? No problem...

I spent all of last weekend out there from Blackstone Bay down to Main Bay and all of the way up to the Coghill River. You'll have a ball as long as you don't try to buck a headlong sea...just take it slooow. There are so many places to throw up a camp that I wouldn't want to limit your options by telling you where to go. Pick a place above the high tide mark and go for it.

Default Zod's in PWS

Ran one off & on since 1979 out of Whittier. Weather is the the only bad thing, but the Zod's are safe. PM me and I'll send you a overly select camping spots, custom built for comfort and a map with all the PWS cabins for rent. Might even throw in a fishing spot or two.
    Enjoy

years ago? 20+ used to run all over in my 16 foot zodiac camped in hidden bay, culross and bear hunted all over furthest was kings bay, probably 50+ miles out. used to go 40+ miles out of seward to goat hunt got into 10 foot confused seas once it handled it great
    highly recommend neoprene waders at least waist high, to keep your butt warm and dry and good float coat. they are a very safe boat IMHO they are the best all around Alaska boat if you can only have one. just aren't comfortable and limited space but they get you out to the places to play. i have 9-10 boats ( 4 inflatables, you need another one ? ) and looking at a "new" big boat just need to sell my current big boat.
    also remember safe use of knives and sharp objects and no gaffs
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

A few years ago, I took a 15.5 GR with a 25 horse out of homer. came back in 6 footers, boat handled it great. Not a good feeling but boat did great.

Btw- great spot to camp, might be sharing with kayakers...south end of culross closest spot to applegate island,
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    Ran one off & on since 1979 out of Whittier. Weather is the the only bad thing, but the Zod's are safe. PM me and I'll send you a overly select camping spots, custom built for comfort and a map with all the PWS cabins for rent. Might even throw in a fishing spot or two.
    Enjoy

You are an awsome person for offering this gracious advice to a new forum member. Nice to see stuff like this on our forum, because of people like you....this new forum member will recieve spot on advice, ultimately having a more ejoyable and safer trip than he would have without it.