Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Island Hunt

Default Kodiak Island Hunt

I am going to Kodiak Island in late October to hunt with Kodiak Charters. I am doing a Blacktail/Caribou and some fishing. Just curious to see how people have done with them. I am pretty excited about it. I also have been shooting my 30-06 with 180gr bullets. Do I need to shoot 180 gr out there or could i scale back to 165gr. I know there are huge Brown Bear there but i'll have my .44 mag with so I am not too concerned about the bear. Thanks for the help.

180's are fine and no reason whatsoever to switch to 165's. But I have more confidence in your 06 than a 44 or any other handgun if it comes to a face-off. Best value of a handgun is if the face-off comes when your rifle is out of reach.

I didnt think Kodiak Island had any bou? Am I wrong or is the hunt off the Island somewhere else for the caribou hunting?

Yep there is Bou there on the south end of the Island and I think there is no closed season !!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Someone correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure they are Reindeer.

You are right..."mini-bou", AKA Reindeer, used to be a commercially raised as I understand it, but now they are all wild. You can check the archives for some old threads re: same subject as well as more precise location where usually found.

Default Kodiak

Jwilm - just a note - be concerned about the bears. They are around and, if you have to deal with a 2 or 3 year old boar, the experience will not be pleasant. Maybe I mispoke - don't be concerned about the bears - be prepared to deal with them.

I will be carrying my 06 again in August but we will not be on the island of Kodiak (close though). I have hunted blacktail & reindeer on the south end of Kodiak. I use Federal, 150 grain Fusion ammo since my 06 shoots that round better than I shoot. After I kill something I reload my rifle with 180 grain Nosler partitions - just in case.

FYI - the animals on the south end of Kodiak are reindeer - imported around 100 years ago from Siberia (I think). They have now been wild for many generations and recently have been hunted hard. As of 2009, there is both a season and a limit of 1 per person. Season August 1 through January 31 - NO same day air hunting. I have the 2009 regulations in my lap as I type this. BTW, in the regulations the animals are listed as caribou and, as far as I know, are not eligible for B & C scoring. They are scored by SCI.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilm View Post
    I am not too concerned about the bear.
    Just wait until you are cleaning a deer in the willows just before dark and you hear twig snap behind you....You'll be concerned then! I bet you'll keep that 30-06 close.

I haven't been there yet, but it's probably the only place in Alaska that I'll constantly be concerned of the bears!

There are actually some good threads on here about being safe in bear country....your head is your best defense.

what is the definition of having been hunted hard.

Not sure the harvest stats show anything other than normal for ole ADQ since 02

whats the .44 for anyway? you gonna shuck that hogleg when the bears after you and throw your '06 in the grass??
    takin' a handgun is just more to carry and more to worry about, use your brains more and you'll need your guns less.
    shoot your 180's the deer down there will suprise you if you've never seen them, they'll soak up whatever you hit them with. 180 is perfect for both and for the bears if you actually need it and if you do it'll only be about a 10 yard or less shot.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default kodiak island hunt

Yeah I understand you want to go as light as you can when you are back there. I used 165gr for whitetail in Minnesota and i know they are tough animals and they usually dropped with them. I didnt want too much power but I will be in Bear country and if i get a shot at a Bou I know they are alot bigger than the blacktail. Has anyone actually hunted out of Larsen Bay before?

I hunt the Kodiak/Raspberry/Afognak area with a 270 and 140gr bullets. I also have a back-up gunner and/or my 500 mag on my chest. If you've ever had to crawl on hands and knees through bear tunnels along small drainages while packing meat? You probably understand better why I carry my pistol. You have no chance with a rifle in that situation, and I've found myself in that situation more than once.

I don't criticize guys who don't carry pistols. I never understood why some will criticize guys that do. Do what makes the most sense for you.

i've weighed hind quarters off big caribou and big deer, deer was 19lbs and caribou was 22lbs. caribou are alot taller which makes you think they are big animals, but they aren't as dense as the deer are, those deer are HEAVY for their size. one boned out deer in the backpack and you'll stop glassin' on your way back to camp, cause two is WAY to much!
    Sometimes having the handgun around camp is nice, takin' it to the toilet with you, manuvering it inside the tent...so on.
    but i'd go with your 180 grains and you'll be fine...deer don't know the differnce in 15 grains...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Interesting that what was "reindeer" and likely privately held are now "caribou", supposedly wild animals regulated by ADF&G.
    Perhaps the reindeer in unit 22 are now bou!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

They are reindeer. Used to commercial fish the area around Red River, Halibut Bay, and Karluk. They tend to be found in the Ayakulik river area.
    As for the bears, you WILL see them. This area has, for all intents and purposes, no trees to hang stuff in, so be warned that the bears will take your meat if they find it. And, depending on the bear, may or may not care if you are around or not.
    Good luck, and hope to see some pictures when you get back.

Interesting that what was "reindeer" and likely privately held are now "caribou", supposedly wild animals regulated by ADF&G.

They are not chained up in someone' s backyard, they are roaming around the southern part of the island. Seem like wild animals to me

Use the bigger bullets and leave the 44 at home. Once you see the bears you WILL be concerned and the deer are alot heavier than most people who have never been there think

Quote Originally Posted by alaska viking View Post
    They are reindeer. Used to commercial fish the area around Red River, Halibut Bay, and Karluk. They tend to be found in the Ayakulik river area.
    As for the bears, you WILL see them. This area has, for all intents and purposes, no trees to hang stuff in, so be warned that the bears will take your meat if they find it. And, depending on the bear, may or may not care if you are around or not.
    Good luck, and hope to see some pictures when you get back.
    Been face to face with those "reindeer" down near Anvil Lake...

They were as much a caribou as any interior or north slope caribou we've ever seen or killed...

Reindeer cannot become caribou. I assume these animals were imported as reindeer and at one time private property like any other species of livestock. Apparently whoever owned them in the past has abandoned them, but they are still reindeer.
    As I said in my previous post, perhaps this means that when the herders in unit 22 completely give up on their herds, which has almost happened, we will have reindeer seasons here.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Reindeer cannot become caribou. I assume these animals were imported as reindeer and at one time private property like any other species of livestock. Apparently whoever owned them in the past has abandoned them, but they are still reindeer.
    As I said in my previous post, perhaps this means that when the herders in unit 22 completely give up on their herds, which has almost happened, we will have reindeer seasons here.
    Are they different in name only or are they a different biological sub-specie?

From wiki...
    ... The reindeer (Rangifer tarandus), also known as the caribou when wild in North America, is an Arctic and Subarctic-dwelling deer....

more....en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reindeer

Those bou on Kodiak are very wild.
    I almost killed a very respectable bull on Kodiak but opted to not do so due to float plane weight concerns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast