Thread: Help with Skilak Lake!

Default Help with Skilak Lake!

A group of us will be staying on Skilak Lake for a couple of day around the 23rd of July and would like to try our hand at some Lake Trout. We'll have a boat and we're looking at trolling for them. What is a good way/set-up to catch some nice lakers trolling on this lake?

Thank you for your help.

Steve

Default trolling probably would not be my choice,

but have done it (flashers with plug) with some success along the beach from where the Kenai dumps in along the road (north)side of the lake. I think you have to stay 1/4 mile away from the mouth before bait is legal.

Better your chances and lesson your work by going about a beach mile along the same side, beach the boat and soak potskies on a single hook with light weight. When its good you get dollies, bows and lake trout. As the second run of reds fills the lake the trout seem to disappear and the reds will actually take the potskies and destroy your light gear so if the reds take over you better have some heavy gear because they run like a raped ape. They are usually pretty crimson but fun with the right gear.

I would always tie my pole to something heavy this time of year if fishing from shore and not holding on to it. Have seen more than one fly into the drink attached to a crazed red.

NEVER under estimate how fast Skilak can turn treacherous. From mirror to 3 ft waves in an hour, have seen it many times. If the wind starts kicking up and it seems like it keeps coming from different directions get home. Its usually worst on the eastern half of the lake.

whats a potskie? a single egg?

Default yep

sorry about that, I dont know if they are still sold under that name but I remember them as Potskie balls of fire....soft but satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by akmagnum View Post
    sorry about that, I dont know if they are still sold under that name but I remember them as Potskie balls of fire....soft but satisfying.
    ?? marshmallo w/bear spray??
    NRA Lifetime Member

I think the spelling is "Pautzkie" which is a brand used by a bait company that may still be in business. I used to use them for trout fishing in the lakes in Washington state and they worked better than anything else. At the end of the day I remember putting a burning match in the jar and then closing it up......my grandpa said that would take the oxygen out and the eggs would last longer. Not sure if that actually worked or if there was some preservative on the eggs but a jar could be used for more than one season.

Default gusdog44 You are correct sir!

My dad taught me the same with the match and he grew up in Sunnyside WA.
    Fishnngrin, the marshmallow comment made me remember an important part of the shore fishing bait set up was to use mini marshmallows above the Pautzkies on the top of the hook shank to float the hook and eggs off the bottom.