Thread: Aire Tributary 14 Ft Self-Bailer

Default Aire Tributary 14 Ft Self-Bailer

Hello all, does anyone have any experience with this raft? I've got a chance to purchase a used Tributary, but haven't seen much on it, including past threads. I know it carries the Aire name, so it must be at least decent, but Aire only warrants this raft for 5 years. Is this something I should be concerned about? My intended uses would be float hunting as well as some lazy floats for the heck of it.

Also, I couldn't find the weight of the boat anywhere (maybe I'm not looking in the right part of the web site).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Moose44

Aire does have a great reputation. I am sure someone with more knowledge than I will chime in soon. I did find the weight on the Aire website to be listed at 123 lbs for the 14' Tributary self bailer. Too heavy to fly with since it is over 100 lbs, but if you are shipping your gear with NAC and such it won't matter. Can't speak of the quality as I have never used this boat. Below is the link to the info I found on the Aire site....

http://www.aire.com/aire/products/default.aspx?id=222

Not sure if this is an option (or interest of yours), but I got a very slightly used (looked nearly brand new) Sotar 14'4" non-self bailer from Goo Vogt of Alaska Wildwater in Anchorage last year. My first raft and I am thrilled with the quality of this boat. Weighs 93 lbs in the carry bag. You may try to call him and see if he has any boats for sale. He has a rental fleet of these Sotars and is a local Sotar dealer. Couldn't hurt to ask at any rate. He is a heck of a guy. Glad I found him.

Here is our raft (borrowed frame and oars from Goo at the time)...

Goo Vogt
    Alaska Wildwater
    (907) 345-4308
    sotaralaska@yahoo.com
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose44 View Post
    Hello all, does anyone have any experience with this raft? I've got a chance to purchase a used Tributary, but haven't seen much on it, including past threads. I know it carries the Aire name, so it must be at least decent, but Aire only warrants this raft for 5 years. Is this something I should be concerned about? My intended uses would be float hunting as well as some lazy floats for the heck of it.

Also, I couldn't find the weight of the boat anywhere (maybe I'm not looking in the right part of the web site).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Moose44
    Moose,

The Trib is fine for flyout float hunting trips. Just keep in mind the normal limitations of 14' self-bailers. I would not recommend two guys, a moose, and all the trimmings, for example. You'll be overloaded.

If you're gonna hunt moose in a 14' bailer and you have a partner, he needs his own boat too. There are some exceptions, but you've got to watch your payload. Travel like you're sheep hunting!

And don't listen to Dan; he likes to carry all his stuff on board the jet! :-)

Naw, most of us ship the gear as cargo if we're flying out of a village somewhere. You should be fine.

AIRE does not offer the standard 10 year warranty on this boat because it is built overseas with lighter materials. You'll rig it with the same standard components though. I would consider the NRS Longhorn frame with an extra seat bar up front if you want to take someone fishing. Be sure to get two cargo platforms and nets; one for each end.

They short you a bit on the D-rings in front and back, so you want to look at that to ensure you have plenty of tie-downs for your cargo platform. More D-rings can be added, but unless you know what you're doing, you should leave that to a qualified shop. In the case of this boat, D-rings can be installed inside the shell, with the ring protruding out through a slit in the shell fabric (you need someone else to do this). You could always glue the patch-type rings on the outside, but remember that the patch should be plastic, not rubber (the shell is PVC).

You won't need those thwarts either; deflate them or remove them from the boat and use that area to stow gear. Leave them in for weekend whitewater trips if you like. But on expedition trips, every inch in that boat is important. You need all that space.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post

And don't listen to Dan; he likes to carry all his stuff on board the jet! :-)

Guilty as charged

Imagine what it would cost me to ship gear from North Carolina to arctic Alaska every fall....

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default idea

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Guilty as charged

Imagine what it would cost me to ship gear from North Carolina to arctic Alaska every fall....

Why not find somewhere to leave it and then you would have too

"More D-rings can be added, but unless you know what you're doing, you should leave that to a qualified shop".

D-rings are easy to install. If you can't figure that out in 15 minutes, how are you going to be able to do a field repair of your boat?

If you get the trib, there is plenty of instruction by air on how to glue on a patch on your user's manual DVD and Aire also has it on YouTube. One practice with piece of scrap and you will be "qualified". Even I can do it.

Default Correct, but...

Quote Originally Posted by shapp View Post
    "More D-rings can be added, but unless you know what you're doing, you should leave that to a qualified shop".

D-rings are easy to install. If you can't figure that out in 15 minutes, how are you going to be able to do a field repair of your boat?

If you get the trib, there is plenty of instruction by air on how to glue on a patch on your user's manual DVD and Aire also has it on YouTube. One practice with piece of scrap and you will be "qualified". Even I can do it.
    Shapp,

My point was that there are things to be aware of specifically with the Tributary. For example, if you want the D-rings to look like the rest of the rings on the boat, the D-ring patch is welded (not glued) to the inside of the shell, and protrudes through a slit in the shell material. Most of us do not have access to a plastic welder, so those jobs are best left to the pros. If you're going to glue the D-ring patch onto the outside of the boat, you've got to match your boat color (not always easy to find a ring on a patch that matches), and the patch itself has to be made of PVC (that's what the shell is made of on the Tributary). Gluing a PVC patch onto a PVC boat is no big deal, but you do need to know the proper procedure. A great article on this is Tracey Harmon's "A Patch In Time". If the D-ring patch is made of Hypalon (it is unlikely that the color will match his boat), then there is a specific way the patch must be applied or it will pop off (you have to use both rubber and plastic glue, applied properly).

It's not just a matter of watching a video and going for it! Yes, a person can become "qualified", but they need to know the options, and the best one for their situation. I guess I was too lazy to write all that out at midnight last night (or whatever time it was when I wrote that)!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Aire tribs are good quality boats, I don't have one, but have good boating friends that run them. I wasn't aware the color was an important piece of the D-ring glueing process. The Strahan show continues!

I have gray and blue D ring patches on my yellow Aire Cougar. I'm contemplating other cool color patches to add. Everyone should decorate their boats this way!

OK, maybe they shouldn't.

Default okay, Jim-

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    I have gray and blue D ring patches on my yellow Aire Cougar. I'm contemplating other cool color patches to add. Everyone should decorate their boats this way!

OK, maybe they shouldn't.
    Yeah, I was gonna mention that... are you sure THIS isn't one of yours? Looks like a tropical fish!

-Mike

Holy Cow!!!!That is doing some serious stream cleanup. My hats off to them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Holy Cow!!!!That is doing some serious stream cleanup. My hats off to them!!!
    Naw, it's just some folks from Wasilla on a weekend camping trip.

-Mike

I bought one from Blue Moose this spring. the family has had it camping twice so far, and several day trips down the lower Gulkana with up to 8 people. It is working great for me. I have the longhorn frame with an extra bar up front with two seats. I added a D ring to each end for attaching a cargo floor, no, they don't match the color of the boat.

I borrowed a motor mount and motored up the Chena one day, worked fine, but a bit slow with my 3.3 motor.