Thread: Chafing from tie-down buckles...

Default Chafing from tie-down buckles...

Everything else went well in my cataraft's maiden voyage. Replaced the trailer. Dan Shilling extended the trailer tongue. Packing list from gear to groceries: check.

But somewhere enroute to Cooper Landing, the tie-down webstraps lost their chafe shields (ballcap bills). Thinking of using sections from floor mats next, but wondered how others keep the webstrap buckles from chafing their raft (cataraft) tubes?

Thanks.

Default foam squares

Leech,

I use those really big trucker's ratchet straps on my catarafts, and have been using a 6x6 chunk of foam from one of those closed-cell military sleeping pads. I place it right under the buckle and I've never had a rub-through in about ten years of using them. You might want to change out the foam every four or five years... I would imagine a little chunk of indoor-outdoor carpet would do the same. It doesn't take much.

I use those foam pads on hunting trips to keep my rear warm on the spotting hill; you can get three nice-sized sitting pads from one sleeping pad and you end up with enough extra to make the pads for your strap buckles. BTW, the foam pads are sure nice on your camp chairs too, and they don't weigh much in the pack!

Also make sure the hooks on the ends of your straps are facing away from the tubes if your trailer uses eye-bolts as mine does. Recently someone borrowed my boat and trailer and the hooks were almost rubbing the tubes when I got it back. No problem; he didn't know. But I'm glad there was no damage!

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

you can also put a piece of strap on the buckle end to extend it and place the buckle where it can't touch your tubes....I use a 3' piece of strap with carabiners in each end, clip one end to the trailer and the other to the buckle end of the strap and the buckle just hovers above the frame....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

With a title like "Chafing from tie downs" I had to take a look, thought it might be one of those spammers. <grin> Glad to see all is in order here, carry on...

Default Good suggestions...

and easy. Thank you.

Lujon: Now you call our attention to it - could sound peculiar, "Chafing from ..." - Woa.