Thread: more pack qs' here

Cool more pack qs' here

Im still trying do decide on an internal frame pack for backpacking and hunting, for up to a 7 day trip. What size cubic inches will I need and how much weight can an internal frame handle. My friend is experienced sheep hunter but i am not. And we are applying for a couple hunts for 07. Hes currently out of town for a while for work or Id be asking him these quiestions also. Im looking for a pack that can handle 100lbs for packing out a sheep. Im thinking Ill need about a 5500 cubic inch pack or better. or would 5500 do it.
    Im trying stay under $250. Im thinking of the north face crescent or outrider. Or a mountainsmith circut 3.0 model pack. One more q. doesnt somebody out there make a harness to strap your rifle to your pack kind of universal rig? Any feedback would be great.

By the way I voted today

Check out the Dana Astralplane or the Gregory Denali packs. Marmots pack is a Dana Astralplane. A little more than 250 though. Myself personally I would not buy anything less than 6500 cubes. My pack is 7200 and it's not too big.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I agree with Snyd on needing 6500+ cu in pack if your carrying gear and possibly an animal. I would suggest you check out Ebay as there are lots of great packs available at reasonable prices. I am a Dana Design fan and there are always barely used Terraplanes and Astralplanes avaialble there for $250 or less. Stick with big name mountaineering packs for hunts like Sheep hunting. My current pack is a Dana Design Terraplane its right 6500 cu in, and can carry more weight than I can, got it on ebay for $225 , and it had never been used.

I just posted a review and pics of a Kelty 50th anniversary pack I bought last year.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

did you check out the eberlestock "just one" pack I mentioned in your last post?

rimfire, I checked em out and they dont look like a good design to me. First off they are not very big, second the last thing you want with a lot of weight is the weight set back away from your back and that design with the crossover straps doesn't look like a solid design to me at all. You would fill the center compartment which isn't very big with your gear and then start crossstrapping the meat on the back of the pack so you'd end up with the weight set back like a foot from your back. IMO with a design like that you might be able to carry 100lbs but its not ergonomically sound for a true fitting mountaineering pack with heavy loads. I cant see it working even close to as well as a large mountaineering pack that keeps the entire load actually up against your back and snug to it. I read a post on another forum about a guy that took a bunch of peoples advice and bought one, they went deer hunting in the mountains and the guy packed out like 90lbs and said he couldn't even stand upright after a mile, they tried to load the pack 2 or 3 different ways and no matter what, he wanted to switch packs with his partner and partner was like heck no after 1/2 mile on the trail he wanted his pack back. Might be a good pack for lighter loads or a pseudo daypack with the ability of hauling something out in one trip but not for a weeks worth of gear and meat. I am open to your opinion on how its worked for you cuz I checked it out after reading some good things about it. Couldn't make myself like it.

I was all excited about the just one also and I think it's a great pack for some things like akcub said. But I can't imagine having 100+ lbs loaded on that pack with a lot of weight that far from your body. Especially in sheep country. Plus they are over about 9lbs if I remember right. For the 300 bucks get a Dana instead.

Thumbs up

right on guys, glad you looked at them. They looked like a good idea. And yes they are heavy. I was pretty surprised at the weight when I picked one up. I have not personally tried the pack, I have one of their daypacks and like it alot. Im an external frame guy myself when it comes to long hauls.

also that is a good point about the weight being so far away from your body. I never thought of that. they sounded pretty convincing on their website though. Im an easy sell I guess.

I was looking at it for just the idea you were thinking of alaskacub. a daypack with the ability to pack out meat. I came to my senses though and decided that was overkill.

yeah , the picture this one guy posted of him and his buddies packing these deer out, it was actually quite humorous cuz the guy couldn't stand upright, he kind of hand to hunch over just to stabilize the load. Every one else was walking upright except for him, he had a hunch back waddle going. Looked like a nightmare to me. And the other thing I forgot to mention that Snyd did, was its weight. I picked one up with one hand off the rack at SW and immediately thought the same thing, for a not so big back cu in wise it sure is heavy! I have packed some pretty **** heavy loads in my Danas Externals as well as some old Camp Trails externals years ago and 100lbs is a bunch of weight and if you can find the right pack that works for you, it can be done withouot too much trouble in moderation.

Default Fit is everything

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    .... I have packed some pretty **** heavy loads in my Danas Externals as well as some old Camp Trails externals years ago and 100lbs is a bunch of weight and if you can find the right pack that works for you, it can be done withouot too much trouble in moderation.
    Your right about finding the "right pack for you". One that fits right, try some on and have them throw atleast 40 lbs in them. Any pack can feel good empty but totaly sag with some weight. My Kelty fits me pretty good after futsing with it. But, it does not fit my friend at all. We're just built different. Some guys like the Kifaru packs, some guys don't, etc. Those older Dana Longbed Terraframes are supposed to be the bomb. 6500cubes, about 7lbs. A frame and load stabalizers going from the frame to the belt. Might have to keep my eyes peeled on ebay just because!

Snyd I packed an entire ram out on a Longbed, easily 120+ lbs as no deboning was done,and horns and cape still attached to the skull, but thats all I had in the pack no gear other than minimal stuff(knives, food, and glass). It did it a lot better than I did to say the least and it easily could have done more. I got a Terraplane this year on ebay and sold my Terraframe to fund it. $225 on ebay for a brand new Terraplane with tags still on it. I am liking the contour fit of the internal better than the external, still has the load limiter straps to take the weight off your shoulders, Just got to keep your eyes open for them.

I know what you mean about that kind of weight. Good problem to have huh!!!! It used to be that an internal frame pack could not support the heavier weight, but now with these newer ones it's totally different. I have an older Lowe Alpine. Hand sewn, hand signed buy the seamster. But it only has two aluminiun support bars. No plastic plate like the newer packs. It just can't handle the weight.

For a frame pack set up these look pretty good. Mountain Sports in Fairbanks has some. The pack frames and harnesses look just like a barneys but they are less $$.

6900cubes. 6lbs 10oz with waterPROOF pack.

http://www.knupac.com/products.html