Thread: Black Bear Tags Now Required

Default Black Bear Tags Now Required

That's right boys and girls, be sure to get a harvest tag before shooting another blackie! As of July 1, it is a required piece of paperwork, just as for moose or caribou. Fish and Game needs to have more information about bear hunting, so be sure to oblige and get your blackie tag!

Thanks phish.....BTW, sent you a PM...

Thanks for the heads up Phish.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

A coworker printed his off from online. I haven't been able to find where as of yet. I'll ask him when I go back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    A coworker printed his off from online. I haven't been able to find where as of yet. I'll ask him when I go back to work.
    This will get ya started:

https://secure.wildlife.alaska.gov/i...TOKEN=87968054

Can someone cite the regulations or where it's posted that a harvest tag is required. It's always been required for non-residents, but the new regs '09-'10 (page 28) still say that resident hunters don't need a tag to harvest black bears. I haven't heard of any errors or changes to the booklet regarding this issue.

Default Metal tag vs. Paper harvest ticket

Residents do not need the $25.00 locking metal bear tag to harvest blackies but as stated earlier, we now have to get the free harvest tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapak View Post
    Can someone cite the regulations or where it's posted that a harvest tag is required. It's always been required for non-residents, but the new regs '09-'10 (page 28) still say that resident hunters don't need a tag to harvest black bears. I haven't heard of any errors or changes to the booklet regarding this issue.
    Yeah, after re-reading I'm confused as well. The link Alaska_Lanche posted shows you can get the registration general bear tag online and print it out, but in the regs, it says no such thing....only about brownies...

EDIT: page 5, top left corner

"Units 1-7, 11-17, 19D, and 20 require a black bear harvest ticket prior to hunting"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

also stated clearly on top of the page in each unit black bear section... New tag required!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    also stated clearly on top of the page in each unit black bear section... New tag required!!
    Yeah, looked there too (found it there first actually)....was just coming up with nothing on the 'all encompassing bear info section.....where it should be also

All, thanks for the clarification. I will be getting mine, but I hope that Fish and Game and Wildlilfe Protection will be a bit merciful this year to those who aren't accustomed to getting a harvest ticket. Good luck to all.

awesome line works for general black bear and general caribou

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post

since harvest tickets were for big game, i always enjoyed the fact alaska considered black bear to be small game.
    as much as adf$g cries poor pockets i 'm not sure black bear management will improve. it's just more stuff in the hunting regs.

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    since harvest tickets were for big game, i always enjoyed the fact alaska considered black bear to be small game.
    as much as adf$g cries poor pockets i 'm not sure black bear management will improve. it's just more stuff in the hunting regs.
    As soon as I get back I am going to fish and game on this. I don't really care if we need harvest tags or not but I am hoping that the data from the these reports will help me leverage to get the hide/skull salvage requirements lifted. Even a jaw bone or skull only would beat the current regs for those of us who just want to add some sausage to the meat locker a couple times a year! I have no interest in hauling out the rest, you can't eat hair and claws.

amen brother! 4 miles round trip a few days ago just for a shattered skull and rubbed hide that I'll throw out as soon as its reported. Course, its probably a good thing in this case. Since I had to get the hide and head, I left a couple quarters and my spare stuff at the site for the second trip. The reporting requirement kept me from killing myself- Pack was heavy enough without an extra 50 pounds of meat and gear in it.

I agree Lujon.

The harvest tags will help remind us that black bears are a source of food we can "harvest" from the land, not just vermin that is competing with us for our delicious moose meat and therefore should be eradicated.

I got mine yesterday at Carrs. I think it is a joke if they really want you to knock down the numbers on black bears.

Maybe they don't but that is what I thought?

Yeah I got a black bear harvest tag but don't plan on hunting them. If I see one I will knock the moose eating mongrel down.

The way I understood it was they want to track who is hunting black bears by a harvest card. I am not hunting them but will shoot if the chance arises.

So I think their numbers will be swayed on who is hunting them.

Sooo you not only need to get your bear sealed so they can keep track of numbers and age but you also now need a new piece of paper to go with the sealing piece of paper. Wonder how many Obama jobs this rule made?