Thread: Looking for a duck boat

Default Looking for a duck boat

Does anybody know where a guy can buy a duck boat. I am looking for the wide kayak looking ones preferably with a transom on the back for a small 2 or 3 horse motor. I looked at the Otter boats, but it's not really the style I am looking for. Any help will be appreciated.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Does anybody know where a guy can buy a duck boat. I am looking for the wide kayak looking ones preferably with a transom on the back for a small 2 or 3 horse motor. I looked at the Otter boats, but it's not really the style I am looking for. Any help will be appreciated.
    Look for a square sterned canoe. You can pick one up from craigslist if you check it everday. Look for a grumman 19ft. and Old Town Discovery sports (any size), or a Scott albany. These boats have successfully traversed almost every shallow water creek and river in this state. Mine has filled the freezer with ducks every year......not to mention moose and caribou among other things. I'd take you out in mine someday.....buy I'm not sure if you could handle limiting out on ducks everytime

skybust had his 4 Rivers for sale last winter with a 6.5 long tail on a trailer. I don't know if he sold it or not but probably did. Find him on here and PM him.

If you are looking for an actual duck hunting purposed marsh boat like the 4-rivers or Mo Marsh boats then you will have to buy one in the states and pay to have it shipped up here. They seldom show up for sale.
    The Mighty Layout Boys have a cool version of the Taylor Wigeon in fiberglass or kevlar.

As mainer says a square stern would be easier to find and craigslist is the place to do it. Be prepared to fight for it since they are a high value target. It took me 4 attempts to get my 17' canoe even when I was the first responder to the ad, but not the first guy to the driveway. Finally found a seller that had good ethics and kept to our agreement in the first email for his boat.

The cheapest option in Alaska is to build a boat specific to duck hunting. But these boats have limited use for other things like river running. Check out the Hybrid on The Refuge. The thread is over 100 pages now and the boat has evolved into something more like a boat than a coffin blind on water. Go to the last page and work back to see the most current info. They also have their own website for ordering plans for the newest style of boat.

A little larger boat is the KARA Hummer. There are thousands of these built across the US and the best way to put a motor on one is to just not finish one end with a point and lop it off to make a stern. A really simple boat, but not as simple as the Hybrid. However if built to plan a KARA will be over 120 pounds. You don't need to build them to plan with all the 2x lumber and easily build a boat less than 100 pounds.

Would a fella have that hard of a time in an Otter Kayak?

I have the 4 river two man layout boat, i have had it for about 6 years no and its great, i brought it up with me when i moved up a year and half ago. Its been a good boat and have had no problems with it. Myself and my daughter even floated the Kenei last yr for reds with it and and had a ball. The shipping will be a bit high i think for it unless sportmens can get it. good luck on what you decide T

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

what kind of tools do you need to build one?

Default Mo marsh

I have one and it is great. Just put a 3.3 hp on it with my son and me and ran all over. very low profile and only 90 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    what kind of tools do you need to build one?
    It depends on a person's skills. The vikings built most of their boats with an axe and a chisel.

To build my Devlin Black Brant 3, I used a table saw, band saw, jig saw, corded and cordless drills, power planer, 21 inch belt sander, 6 inch disk sander, 4 inch grinder, block plane, jack plane, chisels of several sizes, router, and handsaws. It is a semi complicated boat that took a lot of wood working skill and a few months of time.

The tool list for the Hybird is a skill saw and a drill with a hand saw for backup.

The KARA would need a skill saw, drill, and jig saw. Having access to a sawzall would help as well for a couple of the cuts, but a jig saw works too.

So there are the two ends of the tool spectrum. The majority of boats can be built with one or two power tools with a drill being the most handy.

Still have my 4 rivers and motor for sale

Skybust, sent you a PM

Default Sketter bass boats old design - looks a lot like most of these

Sketter Bass boats of old looked a lot like these - just bigger boat. same side design and bow.
    i may have to build one of aluminum one day.