Thread: Talkeetna Mountains Mapping

Default Talkeetna Mountains Mapping

I am planning a multi sport adventure race in the Talkeetna Mountains near Sheep Mountain Lodge August 8-9. It is difficult to find maps of the various trails in the area. Are there any 4 wheeler specific maps around that would have that information on there? I love the remote nature of the area...but it sure makes scouting hard on a bicycle!

Thanks for any information. Let me know if you have any good suggestions for trails to mountain bike on...I can always default to the Syncline Mountain loop...but there is so much better stuff out there!

Mtn Goat-

If you get any maps, what would it take to get you to share?

We've heard that there are riding trails in the Talkeetna foothills but don't know where they are.

I'd appreciate if you'd consider sharing if you get any good info.

Thanks in advance.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

My TOPO program has trails on it, I dont know if you're looking for something other than the old mining trails. You could get in touch with Zach Steer at Sheep Mtn lodge, he probably has some better details.

Best recommendation is probably to go exploring with a mapping GPS

You'll find most Talkeetna trails that exist on the maps, don't exist from an aerial view then later on the ground, many of them no longer are simply too overgrown to follow and pick out.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed