Thread: Midway USA will now ship USPS flat rate

Default Midway USA will now ship USPS flat rate

I just got an email from Midway this afternoon stating that they will now offer shipments by USPS Priority Mail flat rate. I have no idea why it took so long but I suspect they had a contract with UPS prohibiting such service. UPS and FedEx both screw us Alaska residents in this manner.

For those of us ordering bullets or other heavy dense items this should be a real $$ savings. I'm sure Midway's competitors will follow up also.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I ordered the other day and expected about $45 shipping per there calculator. When I went to check out saw the option for flat rate. I wound up ordering 1200 bullets. Shipping flat rate was $21.34, not bad for 30 lbs of bullets.

stimpy

This is huge news. Thanks for the report. I think I'll go order some goodies to be shipped by UPS just to reward them.

Default Too much

BANDHMO,

Hate to say it, but that's a LOT for USPS Flat Rate for 30 lbs. which will fit in one of their standard size boxes. Even with insurance and delivery confirmation, it should be about $14.00. I guess they do charge a bit for handling, which I always thought was an unnecessary charge.

Default Flat rate

You can get up to 70 lbs in a small flat rate box if it is mainly lead i.e. bullets, shot, or lead ingots. I shipped a ton or so of stuff up here 5 or 6 years ago when the flat rate was still $7.75. The Post Office hated my guts and my Postman came close to cursing me out claiming he had hurt his back carrying my packages to the door.

I hope that Mdway does tape the boxes well with nylon re-inforced tape or such. I've gotten a lot of the boxes that were pretty well beat all to heck- looked like they had been dropped a number of times. I hope there wasn't anything fragile on the bottom when they did get dropped into the bin!

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    BANDHMO,

Hate to say it, but that's a LOT for USPS Flat Rate for 30 lbs. which will fit in one of their standard size boxes. Even with insurance and delivery confirmation, it should be about $14.00. I guess they do charge a bit for handling, which I always thought was an unnecessary charge.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default weight limits

TV, you are right about what the USPS says is the max weight allowed, but after a lot of Flat Rate shipping, I've found that the averagte of heavy stuff to put in the standard size box, not the small one is about 40 pounds, which usually allows some room for padding and the boxes stay in better shape, though I always taped the crap out of mine.

I know they padded the price of shipping, but still way better then not flat rate. I checked midsouth and they wanted even more for shipping then midways none flat rate price. The bullets at midsouth were cheaper but with shipping they where more, so I went with midway. The shipping gauging bothers me, but the best I could do was find who gauged less.

Default They need to...

double box or better on bullets! I've received bulk bullets from a maker in California via USPS flat rate, and yes, it's a really good deal, BUT...not if you consider the lost product because the box split on the way to my place. Like the comedy gag where a hard-run car falls apart when the fellers shut the door, my last box did the same thing. Bullets all over the place.