Thread: Soar-Larry Laba

Question Soar-Larry Laba

I just noticed the thread concerning Field Reports on the SOAR Pro Pioneer, originated by mainer_in_ak has been ended/locked by Mike S.

The SOAR boats do have a following. Although I'm an AIRE guy-I own three AIRE rafts-many float hunters here in Alaska seem to like these SOAR boats. Actually, SOAR owners seem to love these boats.

SOAR owner, Larry Laba., used to contribute to this forum. And then he got kicked off-out, I believe by the former forum site owner. In view of SOARs popularity, would it be possible to invite Larry L. to once again contribute to this forum? Must his censure under the new ownership be a lifetime bannishment?

Just wondering how others feel....

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post

Dennis

The more the merrier if you ask me. I like having different opinions to think about. That makes this forum healthy. I have heard nothing but good things about SOAR. Why not?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Clarification and some correction-

I just noticed the thread concerning Field Reports on the SOAR Pro Pioneer, originated by mainer_in_ak has been ended/locked by Mike S.

The SOAR boats do have a following. Although I'm an AIRE guy-I own three AIRE rafts-many float hunters here in Alaska seem to like these SOAR boats. Actually, SOAR owners seem to love these boats.

SOAR owner, Larry Laba., used to contribute to this forum. And then he got kicked off-out, I believe by the former forum site owner. In view of SOARs popularity, would it be possible to invite Larry L. to once again contribute to this forum? Must his censure under the new ownership be a lifetime bannishment?

Dennis
    Hi Dennis,

I took a look and sure enough, that thread was locked. I did not lock it though, but I did just unlock it. Generally threads are locked if they turn combative or for some reason get way off track and are seeding discord. Nothing like that was going on in the SOAR thread, so there's no reason to lock it. By all means feel free to post there if you have something to add; I think it was an excellent discussion, and very relevant to Alaska floaters.

Larry Laba has never been booted from this forum, nor do I believe he has ever even received an infraction notice here. He is always welcome, and I really enjoy hearing from him when he has time to post. Unfortunately, he's a really busy guy and just can't shake loose very often to post here. In addition to running the SOAR retail operation he also runs a huge rental operation in his hometown of Healdsburg, California. His main market with the rental operation is on Sonoma County's Russian River, which is practically in his backyard. Some day I hope to get down that way and rent one of his canoes; from the photos on his site, it looks like everyone is having such a great time.

I think the person you were referencing was Larry Bartlett, of Fairbanks. He has worked with Mr. Laba to develop the Pro Pioneer, the Magnum, and the Levitator; all of these are custom SOAR boats built for the Alaska market.

In terms of people who are banned from this site, we do not reverse those rulings. As you can imagine, it would be a huge can of worms if we started doing that. We also refrain from discussing forum disciplinary actions in public, in order to protect the privacy of those involved. We never take these issues lightly, and nobody is ever removed from the site without multiple written warnings, often spanning several months. There is almost always more to it than the rest of the community knows, and we are acutely aware that we all lose when someone has to go. It's my least favorite part of the job. I appreciate your understanding with that.

Best regards,

-Mike
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 07-02-2009 at 01:54.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default close

Dennis
    It was Larry Bartlett that was asked to leave. I will state for public record that Mike has alway been MORE THAN FAIR when it comes to his comments about Larry and his products when it has been possible to for his to harm to his reputation and products. He has taken the higher road and is to be commended for his honesty and ethics!!

Talking Larry Confusion

OK-ok-ok.
    Larry B., Fairbanks-Pro Pioneer, Magnum, Levitator guy-booted off thr forum...not coming back in this lifetme.
    Larry L. from California-Soar Owner guy.

Sorry 'bout my confusion with Larry, both of 'em.

Dennis

Default Yep!

OK-ok-ok.
    Larry B., Fairbanks-Pro Pioneer, Magnum, Levitator guy-booted off thr forum...not coming back in this lifetme.
    Larry L. from California-Soar Owner guy.

Sorry 'bout my confusion with Larry, both of 'em.

Dennis
    You got it!

The connection between the two is SOAR inflatable boats. Laba builds 'em, Bartlett buys them and re-sells 'em in Alaska. The two of them worked together on some design stuff. That's about it.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay