Thread: Barney's pack question

Default Barney's pack question

Is there more than one model of Barney's frame or do all the Barney's packs use the same frame, just different bags?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Barneys frames

Years ago they used to have two sizes of frames, the other model was smaller than the Carnivore freighter frame which is the one they have now, and yes, all their packs fit on them, most people take off he top bar to cut a few ounces of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Is there more than one model of Barney's frame or do all the Barney's packs use the same frame, just different bags?
    2 frames and 5 bags. The two frames are the freighter (90+% of sales) and the bob. The bob is generally sold to short people or those buying the small bags. The freighter frame is by far the most popular and yes most people (including myself) remove the top bar. The freighters are $269. The bags are the pinnacle 7800, the hunter 6800, the bob 6300-6400, the packer 5800, the moose 4800. Pinnacle is probably the second most popular with hunters. Large capacity for the way down or out. It's compatable with archery hunters and is set up for side rifle carry. The hunter is the second most popular with the meat shelf included on the frame for meat/hide/antler transport. It's set up for side rifle carry, but without modification is not archery compatable. The bob is the only other option for most hunters and third most popular. It has a rear rifle carry and is workable for archery hunter. The last two are really only an option for hunters if on a guided hunt and they won't be packing out. I hope that helps.

Brett

I think alot of folks remove the bar not so much for weight, but because they wont fit in a super cub standing up with the top bar on...then as an added bonus, you can hang your rifle sling on the top of the pack when hiking....

I also took the meat frame off of mine so I could lower the bag all the way to the bottom of the frame ...lower CG and more overhead brush clearance..

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I think alot of folks remove the bar not so much for weight, but because they wont fit in a super cub standing up with the top bar on...then as an added bonus, you can hang your rifle sling on the top of the pack when hiking....

I also took the meat frame off of mine so I could lower the bag all the way to the bottom of the frame ...lower CG and more overhead brush clearance..
    Just a though, but your weight should be centered around the top of your back and not the bottom. Lower is not better. It will actually make you "rear heavey". Of course you don't want to be "top heavey" either, but if you pack the bag properly that shouldn't happen.

Brett

From my experience, youre mostly right Brett, I like to put the heaviest stuff right above where the meat rack shelf is. Something lighter like a sleeping bag goes in the bottom of the bag. Nothing is worse than a top heavy pack tipping you over when rock hopping and I just find that if the bag is towering over your head, you get top heavy and that top porton makes crawling thru brush a pita.

Well I finally bit the bullet & will see what all the hubub is about. Bought a used Carnivore frame online so we'll see what I think!
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Thanks, BTW...

Thanks, Brett - for the inside feedback on some of Barney's gear.

Ditto on what Leech said - thanks for your input.

Not a problem. Glad to help.

Brett

Thanks for all for the help on this one.
    Vance in AK.

Default Barney's Sleeping bag option?

Brett or anyone who knows,
    Has Barney come up with anything new in a sleeping bag? It seems last year he told me he was working on that.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by knikhunter View Post
    Brett or anyone who knows,
    Has Barney come up with anything new in a sleeping bag? It seems last year he told me he was working on that.
    Thanks.
    I'm not sure. Nothing in store at least. We currently carry integral designs, north face, and mountain hardware. Down and primaloft.

Brett