Thread: Short sermon on conservation

Default Short sermon on conservation

I don't claim to be higher and mightier than anyone else. I do think everyone should strongly consider their own effect on a resource. My approach this year was not to fish for King salmon anywhwere that I normally would because the clear lack of a run. I love to catch them but chose not to pick on the few returning fish just because ADF&G is short sighted IMO. To allow an increased pressure on what could not have been a good run on the little sue seems silly. I have fished halibut up here for 35 years and recognize a clear and evident change, and not for the better. The Derbies are a gross display of encouraging the killing of the most important fish to the resource. Anyone harvesting a halibut should consider their real need for a huge, less than desirable table fare fish. They are hardy fish easily released to spawn another day. I released the biggest halibut I have ever caught this week and will hopefully release many others. I won't suggest that everyone must make that same decision, but would hope that you consider the longevity of the resource prior to killing a big spawning female. My own experience would suggest most of those huge halibut end up freezer burned and thrown away. My intention is not to start a debate who fishes or keeps what, but to make everyone reconsider their own responsibilty to conserve.

Nice thoughts man. Wish more folks agreed with you.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey bob. even though your views may differ greatly from others...

it is a great approach, we should all do our part....perhaps more will follow in the spirit of conservation..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'll take it to the next level. I feel as though you should not fish for a fish, unless you intend to kill it and eat it. Don't need/want it? Don't mess with it. Catch and release mortality rates for all species to too great, if you consider yourself a eco-conservatist. Stop fishing when you get what you want to eat. Period.

PS: For every gallon of fuel you conserve, I'm gonna burn two.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Well said Trapperbob and I couldn't agree with you more.

I totally agree and have that vary talk with folks on my boat before they get one up to the surface. That gives them time to think about it beforehand. Those halibut over 70 lbs are almost all females and there really is no need to kill those big fish. I am a meat fisherman and agree with AKRES that once it is is played out to the boat/bank it should be table fare for the most part...

Thanks for starting this thread.

I like the post. Have they done studies up here on Halibut, shark, and/or salmon catch and release mortality? In addition to keeping the giant halibut I'm also a little baffled by the flounder size halibut some people are keeping.

Brett

Wise words. Agree 100%. We are the stewards of the future of our fisheries.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperbob View Post
    I don't claim to be higher and mightier than anyone else. I do think everyone should strongly consider their own effect on a resource. My approach this year was not to fish for King salmon anywhwere that I normally would because the clear lack of a run. I love to catch them but chose not to pick on the few returning fish just because ADF&G is short sighted IMO. To allow an increased pressure on what could not have been a good run on the little sue seems silly. I have fished halibut up here for 35 years and recognize a clear and evident change, and not for the better. The Derbies are a gross display of encouraging the killing of the most important fish to the resource. Anyone harvesting a halibut should consider their real need for a huge, less than desirable table fare fish. They are hardy fish easily released to spawn another day. I released the biggest halibut I have ever caught this week and will hopefully release many others. I won't suggest that everyone must make that same decision, but would hope that you consider the longevity of the resource prior to killing a big spawning female. My own experience would suggest most of those huge halibut end up freezer burned and thrown away. My intention is not to start a debate who fishes or keeps what, but to make everyone reconsider their own responsibilty to conserve.

Thumbs up

Best post of the season, Bob.

Thx!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

good post Bob catch and releasing halibut is a blast they swim right off unharmed as long as you don't gaff them just where a good glove and grab em by there mouths seeing way to many big females killed and let those ones with the diapers still on them have a chance t o grow up to eater size.

I started a post but i think it fits here better. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talked to a air taxi on the radio this morning at Lake Creek and asked if they were going to leave any Kings for seed. He said Nope were going to catch them all.

Default You took the words right out of my mouth

I go so far as to let Mr. Rutz know that some of us aren't mad at him for closing the season but rather relieved and wish he had done it sooner. They need to know how we feel about it.
    I was on a charter in Homer a few years back and they had a derby for Halibut over 100 lbs that were released. You had to tell the captain your intent and then he would rig you up for a big one and knew you wanted to let it go, so would take a picture or something. Since I didn't catch one that size I didn't get to let one go but would have loved it! At the end of the season they picked names out of the few that let a 100#er go.
    We have our own boat and have agreed nothing that big comes on board. I love letting fish go! I have taught my grand daughters catch and release. Mortality is as high as your disregard for the fish. It can be done with a very low rate if you use come common sense. You don't flop them in the rocks and kick them back in the water. I want my great grand kids to get to enjoy the fun of fishing. It won't happen with the low escapments that are the bottom shelf numbers of today. Call your areas F&G and tell them your concerns.
    Whoops I got started. I am passionate about fishing!
    Great post Bob!