Thread: 2 Months away for Swamp Donkey Hunting!

Thumbs up 2 Months away for Swamp Donkey Hunting!

HOUGH! Anyone getting excited for Swamp Donkey hunting? I am, I can't wait to site in my new 270WSM XCR for hunting!

Wink don't be ridiculous...

everyone knows that you can't kill a moose with that little bitty gun.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I can taste the backstrap now!

Better yet, sheep and some caribou seasons are only 40 days away.

Default Moose?

We're not talkin' 'bout Moose Dave! We're talkin "Swamp Donkies!" wink wink...

Didn't some carribou open today (GMU26)?

I'm so glad hunting season is upon us...I've got so dang much to do, now I have an excuse to put it off!

Question swamp donkeys? tundra donkeys?

which are they?
    one time i referred to caribou as "tundra donkeys" and my client said i took the glamour away from his hunt ...
    how about "rock donkey" for goats?
    or "scree donkey" for sheep?
    anyhow, goalie, your gun is not big enough for any of 'em....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

24 and 26 opened today making the haul road go to go from about mile 132 north, happy birthday to me!

I dont know where you guys went to school but first moose hunt in road Alaska starts in 41 days check unit 14!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Oh yeah, I forget...

the early season Swamp Donkey Opening for bow & arras...I think it opens up in late August here on the Yukon as well, but it's too hot, too much bugs, to hunt them then...

& jess 'cuz my 270WSM is a lil' teeny tiny pop gun ain't a .338 Bazooka Mag, don't mean it won't kill a swamp donkey...

Why wait, you guys aren'y obeying the fishing closures. Might as well go whole hog and get a moose too!!!
    Hahahahaha! Gotcha!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Too hot and buggy in September to if you ask me. The one thing I miss about hunting in Michigan is hunting in the cold with snow on the ground.

Of course the moose population would be hit allot harder if the hunt was moved to say October/November time frame.

I own a .338 bazooka..........great gun.......... till you fire a second shot, might be why I only hunt with a bow!?!
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Actually I stopped fishing parks hwy streams immediately after the flood. I will continue my self imposed salmon closure for the parks streams for at least 2 more years.
    BHA Member

Talking

go gettem all boys, go gettem all, good luck and hope to hear stories of full freezers in october. (mine too)

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    the early season Swamp Donkey Opening for bow & arras...I think it opens up in late August here on the Yukon as well, but it's too hot, too much bugs, to hunt them then...

& jess 'cuz my 270WSM is a lil' teeny tiny pop gun ain't a .338 Bazooka Mag, don't mean it won't kill a swamp donkey...
    Popgun? You went the magnum route GG, so you're just as guilty as the rest of us...even tho the diameter hole is smaller, that gun has MAGNUM on the end of the name...

That will NEVER be a good moose gun. You better sent it to me and i will use it as a squirel rifle.

I hope I get a chance to blast a moose with my XLR 45-70, been wanting to see what kind of devistation those 420 gr Garrett Hammerheads are going to cause.

Had to give up the alces alces gigas hunt to chase blacktails this year! Gonna miss it...

Tim

Default Point taken...

"Popgun? You went the magnum route GG, so you're just as guilty as the rest of us...even tho the diameter hole is smaller, that gun has MAGNUM on the end of the name... "

mdhunter, but for the price that the seller was giving it to me, I'da been a dumb swamp donkey's cousin not to take it... :P

Akhunter45, this is a Swamp Donkey thread, not a moose thread...wink wink!
    Last edited by gogoalie; 07-02-2009 at 11:40. Reason: adds

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Too hot and buggy in September to if you ask me. The one thing I miss about hunting in Michigan is hunting in the cold with snow on the ground.

Of course the moose population would be hit allot harder if the hunt was moved to say October/November time frame.

I own a .338 bazooka..........great gun.......... till you fire a second shot, might be why I only hunt with a bow!?!
    I agree about September being too hot and buggy. I think the season should probably open about mid-September or so with the same duration.

I'm still looking forward to it anyway. Just recently swapped out the the OEM rings on the Tikka for a set of Warnes and earlier this winter I installed a Limbsaver pad. Still have to go out and re-zero yet. Got a new tent and I have about three more items (clothing) to gather before I go wheels up out of this rain-soaked blowhole for month.
    Now what ?

I don't think I could get my wife and kids to eat swamp donkey. They love moose, though.