Thread: Stovetop cornbread

Default Stovetop cornbread

I posted this on the camping forum but then thought this might be a better spot. I apologise for the double post.

My grandma had a stove top cornbread cooker. It looked like cast iron but was heavy aluminum. It was similar to an omelette pan in that it was hinged. It was about 6" x 2 3/4" x 1 1/2" . The measurements are approx and I haven't seen one for 25 years. She would cook a loaf of cornbread every day at noon. It was crispy all the way around.

If anyone has any ideas where to find one or what it might be called I would appreciate the help. It would be great for camping as it was designed to use on a wood stove.

You would put it over a low heat, add some bacon grease (seasoning as my Grandma said) and mix up the batter while it was heating. When it was hot you would add the batter and close the lid. About 10 minutes later you would flip it. Best cornbread ever. It would work on a campfire, charcoal or propane stove.

At one time I found a forum on cast iron cookware that had some info but I had a computer crash and lost the url. Google just keeps coming up with aluminum foil type pans.

Thanks in advance.

It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

It is similar but a little different. It might work. I found several things that would work to cook cornbread. I am just a bit nostalgic to try and find one that is similar to what my grandmother used. The older I get the smarter I realize they were. I wish they were still around to ask questions of. Thanks for the help.

it funny how you wish they where still around at times so they can teach you more about the little things that they knew how to do ..
    when we get old we are learning that they had skills beyond our years at the time