Thread: Stovetop Cornbread Cooker

Default Stovetop Cornbread Cooker

My grandma had a stove top cornbread cooker. It looked like cast iron but was heavy aluminum. It was similar to an omelette pan in that it was hinged. It was about 6" x 2 3/4" x 1 1/2" . The measurements are approx and I haven't seen one for 25 years. She would cook a loaf of cornbread every day at noon. It was crispy all the way around.

If anyone has any ideas where to find one or what it might be called I would appreciate the help. It would be great for camping as it was designed to use on a wood stove.

You would put it over a low heat, add some bacon grease (seasoning as my Grandma said) and mix up the batter while it was heating. When it was hot you would add the batter and close the lid. About 10 minutes later you would flip it. Best cornbread ever. It would work on a campfire, charcoal or propane stove.

At one time I found a forum on cast iron cookware that had some info but I had a computer crash and lost the url. Google just keeps coming up with aluminum foil type pans.

Thanks in advance.

A similar product perhaps...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

My choice for cornbread (at home) is the Lodge pie pan....

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=3949

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan, that is the same concept. The one I am looking for had regular wood handles and created a loaf. If I don't find it that one would work as well and cook dogs also. I bet you could make three corn dogs at a time as well. Thanks for the link.

If you get a chance would you add a link to the Harvest Food site that you get the oil powder from? I tried Google but didn't seem to find the correct one.

Any post you have on camp cooking are greatly appreciated. You had some great suggestion on float trip cooking. My wife and family will thank you.

Thanks much

Default Harvest Foodworks..

Powdered oil...

Here you go man. Great stuff. Perfect in a pan or dutch oven. The only way to go for backcountry trips.

http://www.harvestfoodworks.com/listproducts.cfm?id=62

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Smile Grandma's cornbread

I too am looking for the same type pan you describe. My Grandmother and 2 Aunts have them but I have not been able to find them online. When I do I will certainly remember you. Good luck!

I make cornbread on the woodstove, I just use a 1 1/2 QT. sauce pan w/lid and just put anything between the woodstove top and the bottom of the pan so it does not burn. It takes an hour, but so what.

I do not know if you found the web site for the pan that I believe you are wanting to find. Here it is and hope it is the right pan.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/556340-...melet-Aluminum

I had one of these pans 25 years ago and loved it however, my ex-husband loved it more and he won.

Enjoy!
    Rebecca

I know it is on Evil-bay but from your description, I thought this may be what you were looking for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SUPE...05%26rk%3D2%26

Hi, I just joined and saw your post. I believe I have one of these. Unfortunately, I am all but computer illerate - I have a pic, but can't see where to attach it to this post. Mine is a Miracle Maid, West Bend, Wis. 10" long x 5" w x 3" h (with handles is 16" L.) It is heavy aluminum, and does make good cornbread.

I have been looking for this also....I did find several...some say alum and others say cast alum....They are listed as Vintage omelet pans....Either by Miricle Maid or Super Maid...from 14.99 to 60.00 plus and then shipping....Super Maid looks more like the one my sister-in-law has...handles look more like the one she has....So if you search for Vintage omelet pan or Vintage Super or Miricle Maid, you can find these~~

Well since my wife grew up on cornbread she is a big fan or it. I surprised her with one of the Supermaid omlet/cornbread pans. She washed it with soap and tried it out. The first try she burned the bread and it stuck some. I figured it needed a good cleaning anyway so I gave it a good scrubbing with a Brillo pad and made it real shiny inside and out. The second attempt at cornbread she was careful not to burn it and it stuck worse, flipping it over only broke it apart. I am wondering if I shouldn't have cleaned it so well? What should we do to it now? Is it like cast iron and needs to be seasoned with grease? Any help will get me out of the doghouse again, thanks Mark

I use a cast iron waffle iron that goes on my stove top and just make corn bread waffles.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

try nordicware.com
    omelet pans are in the Breakfast Specialty section and NordicWare is Made in America

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Well since my wife grew up on cornbread she is a big fan or it. I surprised her with one of the Supermaid omlet/cornbread pans. She washed it with soap and tried it out. The first try she burned the bread and it stuck some. I figured it needed a good cleaning anyway so I gave it a good scrubbing with a Brillo pad and made it real shiny inside and out. The second attempt at cornbread she was careful not to burn it and it stuck worse, flipping it over only broke it apart. I am wondering if I shouldn't have cleaned it so well? What should we do to it now? Is it like cast iron and needs to be seasoned with grease? Any help will get me out of the doghouse again, thanks Mark
    If its cast iron, it needs to be seasoned and never put in a dishwasher or with hot water and soap. Just get it clean and the dry or let dry in a warm place. It leaves a little oil in the pores of the cast iron.