Thread: Mouth Call for Fox

Default Mouth Call for Fox

What type/brand mouth call do you guys prefer for fox and where is a good place to purchase one? I'm in Wasilla but make a trip to the big city once in awhile. I did quite a bit of coyote calling when I was a kid in Idaho and still have my call but it's a wounded cottontail call, not sure if it will work well up here.

Ive called some fox in on kodiak, and a couple here in the valley. I used an electronic woodpecker in distress call for all of them. I think volume is important more than the species of animal that your trying to mimick. Keep the sound down and sqeeky! And use a decoy.

Default fox call

I prefer an open reed call, with practice you can make rabbit screams, puppy wines and mouse squeeks all with the same call and it's alot cheaper and more portable than those electronic dealies. good luck

Thumbs up I know a guy

I have a buddy (Loren Reese) down in kenai that makes predator calls( open and closed reed) that are excelent . He also makes custom call lanyards and coyote carriers that are real good quality stuff. Everything is very reasonably priced . My favorites are the mini meannie , Kenai Killer , Ko classic, and The Ghost . They all have there own different sound and purpose some are distress and some are howlers that you can use for coyotes. you can check his site out at www.reeselanyards.com or at www.kopredatorsolutions.com . I also really like my FX3 by Foxpro you can get it out away from you and crank it up . I called in a fox last year using the rodent distress sound on my FX3.

Good luck hunting
    Todd
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I make my own. 2 pieces of wood and a rubber band.

Default Ok, I'll bite....

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    I make my own. 2 pieces of wood and a rubber band.

You have my curiosity up, any details or is this a secret operation?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Nothing secret. Hard to explain how to do it on the internet but I'll try.

2 pieces of wood about 2 1/2" to 3" long X 3/8" to 1/2" wide X 1/4" thick. One of those pinching type clothespins works real well as they are already cut flat on one side.

Cut a concave spot in one of the pieces of wood just enough so you can see through them when you place them on top of one another.

1 rubber band ( 1/4" wide at the most). I like to use fairly heavy duty rubber bands.

Cut the rubber band so it is one long piece 7" to 8". The bigger the rubber band the longer it will be and possibly better for using when it comes to wrapping around the wood.

After cutting the concave spot in one of the pieces of wood, lay the rubber band length wise on top of one of the with enough rubber band left over too wrap around both pieces of wood a couple of times while pulling it tightly. Then pull the rubber band length wise stretching it at the same time. Squeeze the 2 pieces of wood together at the loose end and then blow through the opening and pulling the rubber band tight until you get the sound you are looking for. Once you get that sound, pinch the loose ends of the wood together tightly and then wrap the rest of the ruppbe band around them tightly.

Presto, one fox call.

You can also buy the wood or plastic deer bleet calls and use them in the same fashion after replacing the rubber band that comes with them.

Ok, I think I can picture it. So you are putting the wood lengthways in your mouth. Kind of like buzzing a blade of grass between your thumbs? I will have to try this!

Good instructions. Thanks!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks for the info guys!
    Hey akpredator, your buddy Loren has what I'm looking for. Thanks for the links. I plan to give him a call (sorry, no pun intended) this weekend.

Doug

I have a couple that I use plus a handheld electronic that I hung outside my window the other day and called one into my front yard.

The one I use the most is a Sceery Snowshoe Hare call (AP-5...I think) which of course mimics a snowshoe in distress.

The other is a Lohman Circe 3-in-1 that has three different reeds that can be rotated into position. Two are rabbit distress and the third is a rodent squeeker.

I have a Johnny Stewart tape of a snowshoe that I use to help keep me in practice.

Rimfirematt,

I didn't think something like a woodpecker would work up here.
    Now what ?

Thumbs down

I use a sceery AP5 and I can't remember the name but the model is a T-40, it's black bodied and a green tip, chimo guns in wasilla has them. I also use a foxpro E caller. Fox can't resist a rabbit in distress or a Vole skweek! Another good trick, (chimo's has this as well) a little mouse sqweeker bulb, tape it to your gun where your hand normally rest's for shooting, when you do get a fox/yotie coming in and can see them stop calling, they know where its coming from. When you have them in range and want the shot, just give that mouse sqeeker a couple sqeezes, they will usually stop for a second, then BANG, dead doggy. It works well if you've been busted and they are staring at you while circling, again one or two sqeezes and they will usually stop to figure what the heck is going on long enough for the shot!

Thanks guys, I ordered the Sceery AP-5 and a mouse squeeker. The guy at AllPredatorCalls.com told me about a new mouse squeeker he had just gotten in that has a built-in loop on the end that slips around the forearm of your riflle stock. It's the one I ordered. AKDSLDOG, I called Chimo before ordering and the lady said they didn't have the AP-5 in stock at this time, otherwise I would have just bought it locally.

Default MSR squeaker...

The squeak of a water filter.... No kidding..

My buddy was filtering water with our MSR Mini works... Each stroke of the handle caused a high pitched squeak. While I was sitting just above him I watched as a beautiful fox walked up to with in 5 feet behind him... It stood there looking and then wandered off... My buddy never knew it was there... Would have loved to take a shot but you that whole firearms safety RULE...

Or then there is the cheap kissy kissy noises your lips make. Very effective and hard to leave in the truck and forget! Even has an adjustable volume and pitch. I have called in many a fox this way close enough to pet.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by WinMag View Post
    The squeak of a water filter.... No kidding..

My buddy was filtering water with our MSR Mini works... Each stroke of the handle caused a high pitched squeak. While I was sitting just above him I watched as a beautiful fox walked up to with in 5 feet behind him... It stood there looking and then wandered off... My buddy never knew it was there... Would have loved to take a shot but you that whole firearms safety RULE...
    Well now, if he was a real, true buddy............ naw, never mind!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Johnny Stewart PC-3............bite down call, and ya can get the from Wally's. This call is hard to beat.

Good hunting Doug, and ya can't go wrong with any of Lorens products. Matter fact I have one of his open reeds on my lanyard.